| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
 Return to Forum  

Antique or vintage or misunderstood

June 21 2011 at 10:10 AM
No score for this post
JerseyMo 
from IP address 12.233.96.228

Response to one more time with feeling

This is where we see the complexity of the English language. A word such as vintage which does derived from wine making (a period of origin or manufacture) being applied to something completly different aka "vintage watch".

I do use the term in my sales and know that it is mis-used. If properly used a listing should read something like "Men's Timex Watch of 1965 Vintage" and not "Vintage Men's 1965 Timex Watch".

But, the language is forever changing and keeping pace with the time. The Oxford English Dictionary just introduced "OMG" and other such internet lingo into its publications.

For me and antique is 100 years or more. This comes length of time is used in many international customs laws. So if you had a watch that was 100 years or older you could say it is "Antique Men's Wrist Watch of 1890 Vintage" .

ah but Ebay only gives you so many charcaters to use so you have to abbrivate.
hence "Vintage Men's Watch" or other such short cut.

So what does it all come down to? Marketing or how to get your item sold! Yes capitalism. You call something vintage or antquie and the general public thinks that translates to $$$$.

Timex - A - Mouseous

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• annata - JerseyMo on Jun 21, 2011, 12:28 PM
  •  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter