| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
 Return to Forum  

A fresh look at what makes a Timex Rare

April 26 2012 at 3:38 PM
No score for this post
JerseyMo 
from IP address 12.233.96.228

----- Caution: if the use of the term rare causes you to lose sleep, or have uncontrollable fits of rage than, do not continue reading this posting. ---------

Definition of RARE
1: marked by wide separation of component particles: thin
2a: marked by unusual quality, merit, or appeal : distinctive b : superlative or extreme of its kind
3: seldom occurring or found: uncommon

I clipped the above from webster.com after viewing an eBay listing of a 1971 Viscount titled "Extremely Rare". It is my opinion that most sellers insert this as a means to push up the selling price. Many times I have sent the seller an email asking just what makes this item rare. The typical response is that their research tells them so. I thank them for the reply and have a nice chuckle afterwards. Okay so I am a harden guy who knows a line of BS when I hear it.

But, lets apply say line 3 to the cosmetic or mechanical condition of the typical used mens Timex watch we all pick up at a yard sale, or auction etc. They are filled with grime, dirt, and the DNA of the past owner. The plating is worn off the crystal looks like it was dragged across sand paper. The base metal looks like Swiss cheese. The movement is soaked with axel grease or the hair spring is pulled and so on. Yes, we have all seen way too many of these.

However, once in a while you pick one up and you turn the crown give it a tap and off she goes. A little scrubbing and the plating sparkles like new! So does this make it rare?

As much of a hard a@@ that I am I will have to say "well okay I'll give you that one". It is rare to find a Timex in excellent condition. And yes I do have some in the collection as proof.

What do you think? Does finding a used Timex in great condition make it rare?

happy.gif

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter