| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
 Return to Forum  

Ingersoll #20 - Watchmaker tip

May 23 2012 at 12:02 PM
No score for this post
JerseyMo 
from IP address 12.233.96.228

Just back in from a visit with my local watchmaker to get his opinon on why a #20 I was working on would not run correctly. After a full teardown and rebuild it came back to life but, would just not remain in motion. I had noticed two pivots that had a bit more play than the others and thought perhaps this was the reason for the malfunction. Nope!

He pointed out to me the importance of 'the beat'. Or the way in which the balance wheel toggles the pallet fork back and forth against the escapment wheel. This beat should be equal in both directions to insure proper timing.

On my movement the beat was not equal. The reason for the beat not being equal was an off center hairspring. So much like a dirty or oily hairspring it was not 'breathing' correctly. Thus not keeping an equal beat.

He will try to correct this for me and if successful I will place the movement in the Mickey I aquired last week.

So now I have a better understaning of what makes a movement run. Hope this tip is useful to others.

happy.gif

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter