| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
Respond to this messageReturn to Forum
Original Message
  • The Timex Mini Alarm
    • Bill D
      Posted Jan 12, 2010 2:31 PM

Being retired, I normally do not need or use an alarm clock. Tomorrow I have to be up a few hours early to go pick up my sister, 45 minutes away, and take her to the airport. I remembered I had 3 old Timex mini alarms kicking around so I decided to get one up and running.
      As I worked on them I remembered that Ebay sellers are often confused about these clocks and thought I would do a little writeup on them for the forum. Sellers often think either a) they are electric and since they don't run, with a new battery, they are broken or b) they are manual and since they wound it and they kept time but the alarm does not work it is broken.
      These clocks are a manual wind movement for time keeping and a battery for only the alarm function. The catalog number was 90112, the movement was 514 and mine are from 1982.

Here is the front view, the rear with the back removed, and the leather case that came with them. Notice the rotating crystal with the red pointer. That is the alarm time set and is one side of the circuit. Also notice the point on the hour hand. That is the other side of the circuit and when it makes contact with the one on the bezel, the circuit is closed and the alarm will sound as long as the switch is on.
      [IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This is the inside back with the N size battery removed. The black cube is the alarm buzzer. the top or + side of the battery connection goes to the movement The neg goes to one side of the buzzer (black wire). The other side of the buzzer has a red wire going to a brass strip which is one side of a switch. The red button activates the switch and closes the circit to the red contact on the bezel.

Here is the dial side of the movement after removing it from the case. Again notice the hour hand

Here is the movement. It is basically a #24 manual wind and set

All in all quite a simple and clean little design that is quite reliable as long as the hour hand does not get moved from the proper plane to make contact.

I hope this discussion of a vintage Timex that is seldom mentioned is of interest to the forum.

Bill D
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Image Services Photobucket.com
    Options
    Enable formatted text (what's this?)