| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

21-jewel Grail watch...more

November 17 2008 at 10:43 AM
No score for this post
John 
from IP address 67.67.9.58

Since we have had such nice looking 12-jewel watches shown below I thought I'd ask a question. We seem to have a lot of Forum members that were not around 3-4 years ago.
Does anyone have or seen in person the 21-jewel Timex self-wind with the words 'TIMEX Twentyone Jewels' around the '21' in a circle???? The watch is show in my 'service manual' as being made in 1962 only, in either Chrome or Yellow and has the 74 movement.Knut posted a page from the manual on June 29, 2005 when he was looking for the watch. I have not seen one for sale and have never seen one except in pictures.I think it must be more 'rare' that the solid gold electric.Any information would be helpful.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
RonD.

Speaking of that 14k Dorado :)

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 3:19 PM 

That is what I am wearing today, my Dorado! I just love this watch!

[linked image]
[linked image]

I have seen pics of the 21 jewel watch you are talking about, but never had one.

Ron

RonD and John>>>

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 6:51 PM 

You both say you've seen pic's, were they from the service manual or were they actual pictures of the the real watch? This pic from the service manual is the only one I've ever seen.

[linked image]

I would love to see a photo of the watch just to know if it exist's.

John

You and me...

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 7:55 PM 

both. I have only seen the 'Service Manual' pics. I have not even seen the catalog pictures nor an advertisement. I would really like to know if Timex actually made the watch. It's is a little like the 17-jewel automatic Timex says they made when they released the first 21-jewel automatic.

RonD.

I forget

No score for this post
November 17 2008, 8:21 PM 

I don't remember how or when I saw it. I thought I might have seen an actual watch, but can't remember.

Ron

The Decorators are in - -

No score for this post
November 18 2008, 5:25 AM 

- - well, my daughters and sons-in-law are painting and tidying the house for us, so I can't lay hands on my UK SERVICE Manual, but I don't know if that model is listed there or not.

I'll have a look-see this afternoon and try for a quick look if I can spot it in the packing case through in one of the other rooms just out of interest. I look regularly on FleaBay in the hopes of a "Dorado" turning up there, preferably from someone who hasn't a clue what it actually is, but the last one I saw here on UK Fleabay went for absolutely silly money, the description was accurate and correct, so the seller was a watchie person obviously.

If the 21 jewel does exist, it looks like it's even rarer than the Dorado, so i becomes a "Grail" Timex, that's for sure.

e~gards

Mel

Frae Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland

http://www.timekeepers.me.uk
Affordable and Everyday Watches

http://www.sequencedance-online.co.uk
My other hobby - Sequence Dancing

Perhaps the Rarest of Them All

No score for this post
November 18 2008, 5:20 PM 

Knut and I exchanged emails quite a few times over the years about the elusive Timex 21 jewels self-wind (automatic) watch with the circular "Timex Twenty One Jewels" printed around the numbers "21" on the dial. Supposedly this would have been the first 21 jewel automatic/self-winding watch model made with the #74 movement back in 1962. Subsequently similar models were made through 1968 but none with that circular dial design.

A few years ago I accumulated a very large collection of original Timex replacement parts in their factory packaging. They had been distributed to authorized Timex repair centers in the 1960's & 1970's. The parts I acquired came from the estate of an authorized Timex repairman who ran a jewelry store for many decades in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. A full assortment of Timex 21 replacement dials in their original factory plastic sleeves was included. All of the models shown in the Timex Service Manual and Parts catalog were included in that dial assortment EXCEPT the 1962 circular logo model.

I have no idea if that 1962 model was actually manufactured and marketed but I have never seen the watch nor the dial. If it does exist I'd be bold enough to declare that it, along with the mysterious and equally elusive Timex 17 jewel automatic/self-wind, are the two Rarest Timex models of all time.

Dorsey H.

technoguy

Maybe...

No score for this post
November 18 2008, 8:06 PM 

this early 21 jewel automatic Timex is like those 1943 copper pennies. Only a few were made and then something happened that made them change the design at the last minute.

Perhaps they discovered, AFTER the catalog drawing was made and a few of the watches were sent to distributors, that this logo violated another watch company's trademarked logo and Timex decided to quickly change the logo to prevent a infringement lawsuit from being filed against them.

However, that would mean that somewhere out there there could still be a few of them in existence. Sooner or later one will show up on eBay and then we'll see a record price paid for a vintage Timex!

technoguy

Current Topic - 21-jewel Grail watch...more
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter