| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Help with dating and ID for a Timex

July 14 2009 at 5:12 PM
No score for this post

from IP address 216.87.243.7

Hey All,

This came my way via a lot purchase and I thought I would post some shots and get some feedback. No markings inside the case.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Thanks!

MLK

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
John

That's an interesting...

No score for this post
July 14 2009, 7:26 PM 

Timex. A thread below about a 'Kings" watch may provide a clue. Bill D says 'AS' made some of the Timex 17-J movements and the movement looks a lot like the move ment Jack shows in a link.You might look carefully uner the balance wheel to see if there are any initials that will identify the maker of the movement. In 1959 Timex started using a 17-J movement made by Hattori(Japan). I think you watch may predate that. One or more of the members will fill in the details, I am sure. Nice catch by the way.

Thanks John, I appreciate the comments. You were right on, BTW...

No score for this post
July 14 2009, 9:59 PM 

AS 1187. The code is right on the movement. This must be the short lived 17J line that Bill was referring to. By all accounts, it appears to be circa 1950.

Interesting.

Thanks,

MLK

AS = A Schild = Swiss ebauche manufacturer

No score for this post
July 14 2009, 10:51 PM 

I thought the Timex 17J versions were from Durowe = German

Bill D

Re: AS = A Schild = Swiss ebauche manufacturer

No score for this post
July 15 2009, 8:14 AM 

Timex 100 AS movement. You can see part of the logo under balance.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Bill D

Distant Memory of a Thread from the Old Forum

No score for this post
July 15 2009, 12:13 AM 

If my memory is correct there was a long thread on the old Forum about a similar watch. I believe the conclusion was back then that the "Timex" on the watch had nothing to do with the Timex brand that we know, but might have been on of the many Swiss brand names used PRIOR to the emergence of the Timex brand of the U.S. Time Corp.

Dorsey H.

Bill D

Re: Distant Memory of a Thread from the Old Forum

No score for this post
July 15 2009, 8:17 AM 

I would have to agree that that watch looks to be from the 30's or 40's and The font for Timex on the dial is quite different.

Bill D

Current Topic - Help with dating and ID for a Timex
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter