| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Interesting events

October 16 2009 at 8:24 AM
No score for this post
Bill D 
from IP address 69.120.221.111

Some will remember I posted a pic here a while ago of my skeletonized Waterbury Series A pocket watch.
The fellow who is one of the authors of that famous price guide for watches, has one of these watches for sale at the moment. He listed it as a Series C. I wrote him that his watch is a Series A and not a C (which was not skeletonized). I recieved a response that he has determined I was correct and changed his listing.
I had a similar experiance recently will a fellow selling a 1940's Mickey lapel watch which was missing the entire balance and escape,several wheels and the stem. He said it was a 1919 since that was the patent date on the remaining plate. I informed him that Mickey Mouse did not exist until 1928 and the serial number on his watch indicated it was from 1940's. He acknowledged my writing and refused to change his listing. To me that is fraud. I hope the buyer realizes he did not get what was advertised.
I guess it just shows you can't always believe the "experts".

Bill D

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
RonD.

I know what you mean...

No score for this post
October 16 2009, 11:11 AM 

I hate when folks list something wrong (or at least, wrong in my opinion). I just saw a watch band for an Omega Planet Ocean listed for $350, and the seller said the price was originally $500.

I contacted him and asked why he wanted so much, letting him know that I was looking for one, and eventually bought it at Tourneau for $150. He got snippy and said "Bid on it or don't, Ebay is not a Blog"!

Folks don't like to be challenged, especially whey they are trying to scam someone.

Ron

Grouchy Ol' Man - -

No score for this post
October 16 2009, 11:27 AM 

- - that I am, but I liked it better when the bidders could be contacted and weren't hidden behind things like "m***g" - I was prepared to "e" those bidders on items I reckoned were "iffy" and let them know my suspicions happy.gif

Was that bad? I didn't think so, I would just say things like - "You might like to check the fact that MM didn't exist until 1928, so 1919 cannot be the date of manufacture!" and it was up to them to take it further. OTOH, "caveat Emptor" - "Let the Buyer Beware", surely (for example) a MM collector should know that fact

2c worth - 'cos it certainly doesn't seem worthe-mailing the bay with suspicions, you get a very non-committal reply about "intellectual rights" and VERO, and not a lot seem to get pulled even for glaring errors/scams whatever - indeed yes!

e~gards

Mel

Frae Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland

http://www.timekeepers.me.uk
Affordable and Everyday Watches

http://www.sequencedance-online.co.uk
My other hobby - Sequence Dancing

technoguy

Sadly...

No score for this post
October 16 2009, 3:09 PM 

there are a LOT of people in this world who are afraid to admit they are wrong when necessary and make appropriate changes to rectify the situation. This phenomenon is not only confined to ebay sellers but can be found in all areas of life from the medical field to politics. Maybe they are afraid that if they admit a single error, then that will completely destroy any remaining credibility they have.

Generally, I will have little to do with such a person after I become aware of his behavior. I prefer to only do business with people who sell me exactly what I expected to get for my money.

Caveat Emptor

technoguy

Current Topic - Interesting events
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter