| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

How to set the date with a perpetual calendar?

March 28 2010 at 3:45 PM
No score for this post
Plasmaskin 
from IP address 62.48.114.178

Something strange just happened to me: my trusty Timex with perpetual calendar (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SQM5MW) has its date 2 days in the past (it says 26th while today is the 28th). I don't know what happened, maybe my 4-years-old played with it or maybe I did something wrong when setting it for DST.

Anyway, I looked at the perpetual calendar manual (http://assets.timex.com/instructions/perpetualCal.pdf) and my watch doesn't react as described. Setting the date to "2" or "3" doesn't show the month or the year. After playing for a while, I found out that if I turn the crown to have the date show "31", the watch shows me "1" for 5 seconds and if I turn it to "1", it shows me "8" for 5 seconds. My best guess is that my watch is set on January 26th, 2008.

Could anyone help me to set the date correctly? Pulling the crown and waiting 10 seconds doesn't seem to have an effect. The date always reverts to 26. If I wait 1 minute with the crown left in middle position, the date goes back to 26 by itself as well and turning the crown has no effect anymore.

I would very much appreciate some help... I'm getting desperate with that thing...

Thanks

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
technoguy

Sounds like some sort...

No score for this post
March 28 2010, 4:29 PM 

of glitch with the tiny processor that keeps track of the the dates.

Assuming you're not doing something wrong when trying to reset the day / date, maybe you will need to remove the watch's battery from the movement for a sufficiently long enough period of time. That should erase any erroneous data in its memory and then, maybe, it will respond properly again when you try to reset everything.

Wish I could be more helpful, but, sometimes, as we saw with the recent Toyota mess, these digital electronic gadgets can develop minds of their own and make debugging them a real chore.

If all else fails, you should contact the Timex Customer Service Department and tell them of your problem with the watch. They may have a quick fix for it or, perhaps, they will want to see the watch so they can analyze what its problem is.

Who knows...maybe this is a problem that alot of other owners of similar model Timexes are having and could result in the first "recall" by a watch manufacturer!

technoguy

I'll try...

No score for this post
March 28 2010, 5:17 PM 

...to remove the battery. Unfortunately I don't have the correct tool. I will order one so I don't scratch the back of my watch too bad. I can live with a wrong date for a few days.

Funnily, it's quite consistent that the date is off by 2 days (minus 2) and that the commands to read the month/year are also shifted by 2 (2-3 -> 31-1). I did try to follow the procedure to change the date using "30" instead of "1" but it didn't work.

You're probably right, resetting that little micro-controller might help... and if it doesn't, I will have the watch serviced by Timex.

Thanks for your help technoguy. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Best regards

Plasmaskin

I wouldn't take the battery out...

No score for this post
March 28 2010, 6:37 PM 

you will most likely lose the programming for the perp. calender and not be able to set it properly. Timex charges $7 or so for a battery replacement for the perp. calender watches, best to send it to them, as they will do the required programming after battery replacement.

-Marc

EdH

Hello Plasmaskin! Here are a couple of links>>>>>

No score for this post
March 28 2010, 7:55 PM 

to previous posts on this Forum about how to check and re-set a perpetual calendar after a battery change. The first one is very simple, and is from Knut our Forum Founder. The second one is more detailed.

Perpetual Instruction #1

Perpetual Instruction #2

Hope this helps.

Cheers, happy.gif

Ed

Current Topic - How to set the date with a perpetual calendar?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter