| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Common Q?: New battery in Easy Alarm...

October 29 2010 at 6:06 PM
No score for this post
Matt G 
from IP address 96.237.180.181

Background:
My day to day must have watch is a Reef Gear 50m (blue face) T50832 - I'm on my 3rd one since I first saw an add for them in Playboy, 15 or so years ago. (First one the alarm extension on the minute hand broke off, second one the bezel came off or something.) I found a 4th one on ebay as a backup as #3 is getting a little long in the tooth - and I use the alarm constantly (I haven't found another alarm that's as loud or as easy to set. I have a T42331 - not as loud, alarm knob not easy to grip.)

A reef gear (aka Easy Set Alarm w/Indiglo) I won on auction came in. It was NOS. I planned to use the battery from my current, same model watch, to check the new watch to see if it was functional.
Note: I used a screwdriver to remove the battery (unscrewing the alarm contact tang first.) I tried using a toothpick but it wasn't strong enough to budge the battery.

1. Put existing battery in new watch. Watch didn't run.
2. Put watch back in old watch, it ran. (with caseback open, without alarm tang screwed in.)
3. Put watch into new watch, didn't run. Althogh Indiglo lit.
4. Put watch back in old watch, it didn't run. Indiglo was not functioning previously - but if I pulled out the alarm button I did get a beep (it did not continue to beep if the alarm was aligned - so that's not good.)

The battery is a CR2016. It's got 2.8 volts. As the watch had been functional I'd figure the battery had enough power. When in place I did find contacts on the movement which read 2.8 volts - so contacts would not seem to be the issue.

Note: I did bring it by the mall to a low end watch shop - they tried batteries in both watches and didn't get them to run (although I noticed the person swapped through numerous batteries, measuring them, before trying them - so no idea how much volts they had.)

The movement does have some ~contacts labeled R and EL1 -but noting noted as AC (all clear) or Reset - is there a reset for this movement? or do I just need to try and find a strong battery?

Thanks for reading.
Matt

Other than my ~reliable Reef Gear I do have a Timex T42331, a basic Timex quartz from ~1984, a Time self-wind from ~1980 (thing it's mainspring is broken, can hear it slip when winding), a few Armitron Monopoly board watches, a Digirobo (digital that convers to robot), 3 Vostok Komandirskie ('88, '95, '00), and a Seiko SNA225 (it's alarm is too soft and a pain to set - the Reef Gear and even the T42331 left it far behind in functionality.) Hmmm... I do have a self-wind/automatic from the early 60s, but a small arm fell out of it in the late 70s when I was regulating it - nothing I did, was just loose, something near the stem, would be fun to have it running (the case's plating started coming off and fraying my dad's shirts, that's why he let me use it.)

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Fuzzy shot of movement.

No score for this post
October 29 2010, 7:59 PM 

-I'll try to get a better shot. This one only gives a very general idea of the movement.

[linked image]

Better shot of movement

No score for this post
October 29 2010, 8:14 PM 

[linked image]

Battery was 2.8v now 2.48v...

No score for this post
October 29 2010, 8:34 PM 

Battery was 2.8v yesterday when I started all this, but tonight down to 2.48v.

Any idea how low a voltage will cause a problem? Watch had been fine yesterday.

thanks,
matt

RonD.

Re: Battery was 2.8v now 2.48v...

No score for this post
October 29 2010, 10:44 PM 

I have messed with those Matt. I would go buy a new battery. You would then at least know if the battery was the problem. Other than that, I wouldn't have any suggestions... one of the reasons I stay away from quartz watches. happy.gif

Ron

Ian

Re: Battery was 2.8v now 2.48v...

No score for this post
October 30 2010, 4:47 AM 

Get hold of a brand new battery and check for short circuits. Sounds like something is touching the battery that shouldn't be.

Ian

interesting thought

No score for this post
October 30 2010, 8:02 PM 

thanks for the idea.

I did get a new battery at a CVS. It read 3.3v right out of the package, but 2.6v once in the watch. I wonder if it's a lousy battery and having it under a load is showing that (by the ? low 2.6v.)

I didn't get a chance to stop into the Natick Sears watch shop, maybe on Sunday.-I trust that they move enough batteries that I'd get a fresh one.

matt

Matt

Brought it by Sears in Natick...

No score for this post
October 31 2010, 1:59 PM 

I brought it by the Sears in Natick because they swap a lot of batteries there.
The guy on duty wasn't a repair person, but swaps batteries typically - which was fine with me, I figure if you swap enough batteries you learn a few things.

Anyway, he tested the battery and thought it was strong enough - and didn't see any issue with how I swapped it out. He also used magnifier to check and see if there were any instructions on either side of the caseback.

I'm just hoping someone will see this and recall a similar experience. I should get a shot of the movement without the battery in place.

matt

Current Topic - Common Q?: New battery in Easy Alarm...
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter