| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

A nice electronic for a fine sunday

December 26 2010 at 10:17 AM
No score for this post

David 
from IP address 64.12.116.136

My made in germany backset. Rold gold and running great.
[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

mel

Nice shot David - -

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 10:28 AM 

- - shows up the AM/PM marker lovely!

One wonders why such a simple yet effective idea wasn't/isn't adopted by other makers, and still in use to-day happy.gif

e~gards

Mel

Frae Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland

http://www.timekeepers.me.uk
Affordable and Everyday Watches

http://www.sequencedance-online.co.uk
My other hobby - Sequence Dancing

TNT

Nice! Can you explain how the am/pm marker works?

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 12:02 PM 

mel

Take a look at David's photo

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 1:33 PM 

- - again, there's a wee black dot above the date figure. happy.gif

Timex models with this feature have a date wheel that advances twice in 24 hours, once at 12 noon, once at midnight. (by a "3/4" advance at midnight, if you can imagine the same, and a "1/4" of an advance at noon). The date wheels are printed with the date number, and a dot just above, and just below the number itself. The date aperture is just big enough to show the date and the dot in either the above or below positions, but not both.

So when the dot is below the date, it's AM, when it's above, it's PM. The watch in David's piccie is showing PM. These movements are also interesting in that they have an almost instantaneous change-over at noon and midnight, unlike other watches that can take up to two hours to changeover.

The date wheel is printed as .1.2.3.4. - and so on up to 31 so the dot below the number is also the dot above the next number in the sequence ~ is your head hurting yet? happy.gif

When you see a date wheel laid flat on the bench for one of these, it all becomes clear!

e~gards

Mel

Anonymous

What Mel Said

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 5:24 PM 

Yep that sums it up

TNT

Thanks for the thorough explanation. . .

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 9:03 PM 

So, when it changes from AM to PM it moves less than one click and PM to AM more than one click?

TNT

Or I guess vice versa.

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 9:04 PM 

Norm

White Christmas with a 23070 Kelton..

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 10:29 AM 

Im wearing the 23070 Kelton...contrasting black and white in 40cm of snow..
[linked image]

Dorsey H.

Two Very Nice Watches, David & Norm ----Note for Ron

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 11:00 AM 

Thanks for sharing photos of both of those very nice watches, David & Norm. Hey Ron D., wasn't there a discussion way back about that "Crown" symbol on the dial? Didn't you or somebody else ask the question if the "Crown" appeared on any other models other than the Dorado? Or, is my faulty memory getting worse?

Dorsey H.

RonD.

about the crown..

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 2:16 PM 

Yes Dorsey, we had a discussion about it a while back. I know the Dorado has the crown, and I was looking for a nicer dial for my watch, so I wondered if any other watches had it. What I came up with was that the 14k Dorado's had it, and the two 10K RGP electrics had it.. see pics below.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

So my thought was that the solid gold Timex didn't have date windows, and the gold plated ones did. I still haven't found another dial that has the crown.

I know that David says his is rolled gold, but someone here has that case shape without it being gold plated. In fact I also had one of the black dial watches that was not gold plated. I wonder if the non-plated ones had the exact same dial? Does anyone have that black dial electric without the crown?

Ron

Bill D

The Crown

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 3:06 PM 

In 1968 and 69 the Dorado appears to be the only one with the crown. In 1970 and 71 there were 2 yellow gold and 2 white gold plated electronics with the crown. 1 of each were cushion shape (the ones Ron showed)and the other 2 (1 of each) were round. Rons first one is 99241 and the second with the black dial is 99371. the others were 99041 round shape yellow rolled gold bezel with 1,2,4,5,7,8.10,and 11 having horizontal markers and 12,6,and 9 being vertical markers. 99171 is round bezel white rolled gold with the same black dial as tons cushion cased one. All 4 were calendar and have the transistor controlled movement and all came with black lizard strap. They were also referred to as the Prestige collection. The Dorados and these 4 electronics are the only ones in any of my catalogs with the crown on the dial.

Interestingly in the 1971 catalog there are 6 electronics that are referred to as prestige and the crown is at the top of the page but not on the dials.

Bill D

RonD.

Thanks Bill

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 3:46 PM 

So the only ones that had the crown and did not have the date were the Dorado. Kind of sucks since I will need to get the dial off of another Dorado! lol

Ron

mel

No - -

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 5:44 PM 

- - you can't have the dial off mine happy.gif

Bill, so what is the complete manufacturing date range of the Dorado models in your catalogues? My one is standard "West Germany", and with a crown on the dial obviously, and the backset stem doesn't unscrew as later Chrome models I've seen.

I've not seen inside it, Paul (SilverHawk) did a service and battery change at the Brighton Electric Watch Hospital and Spa before I got to see it, went straight from Larry to Paul, then to me happy.gif

e~gards

Mel

Bill D

Re: No - -

No score for this post
December 26 2010, 6:25 PM 

Mel, the Dorado was made from 1966-1968. The actual catalog # is 9064 and they all had the #84 movement. The earlier non Dorado backset electrics with the screwed on crown used the #67 movement.

I mispoke in my earlier reply about the other 4 electronics. The 1969 sales catalog shows the 2 "silver" looking models as 10k rolled white gold where the 1970 sales catalog says they are chrome plated base metal. To further complicate matters the service manual shows them as chrome plated both years.

Bill D

mel - laptopping

Thanks Bill - -

No score for this post
December 27 2010, 5:31 AM 

- - I knew I could rely on you for the info. 66 to 68, just my age happy.gif

We'll be off to Argyllshire in the next couple of days, I'll raise a glass on Hogmanay (or maybe three) and think of all the Timexicans, and especially yourself Bill, for the world of knowledge you bring to the forum!

e~gards

Mel

Bill D

Thanks Mel

No score for this post
December 27 2010, 7:02 AM 

Hae a hauf for me. Happy Hogmanay

Bill D

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter