| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Timex Display Case - Burned up motor!

March 17 2012 at 8:51 PM
No score for this post
SJones 
from IP address 209.55.104.189

Hello,
I'm new to the forum! I was wondering if anyone knows where to find a motor/gear box for a 6' tall display case? I recently purchased the case that is 4-sided, slightly larger at the bottom, has a silver top about 8" tall with the black "TIMEX" logo on it, 4 light bulbs, and has 11 shelves connected to the center post. The post does turn, but the motor shows evidence of getting too hot and burning up.
I'll get a picture of it later... it's at the store and I neglected to get a pic of it!
Any ideas would be appreciated, as I've spent a few hours on the web trying to find one!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
technoguy

You need to...

No score for this post
March 17 2012, 10:16 PM 

contact the Timex Corp. and ask them if they have replacement motors for those cases. Possibly, they have a few of them sitting in a Parts Dept. somewhere. If it's a standard sized motor, then you might be able to find a replacement from a third party supplier. If all else fails, then it might be possible to custom mount a similar motor in the case that would do the job.

In the meanwhile, when you finally get the display case home, I would not try running it with the defective motor in it. It might set your house on fire!

technoguy

Mark Johnson

Nameplate

No score for this post
March 17 2012, 10:45 PM 

If you pull the motor you may find a nameplate or spec-plate on it. That will give you the info you need to spec out a replacement. The most important info will be the Frame number, Voltage, and Manufacturer.

With that info you should be able to get a new motor at your local Graingers. If you take the old motor to a Graingers they will help you out as well.

I spent over 30 years doing this....trust me, it's not as hard as it may seem.

JerseyMo

Ditto

No score for this post
March 18 2012, 1:01 PM 

Graingers is a great place to beign your search for a replacement motor. Next step would be to find a motor repair shop. Here in northern NJ they are quite easy to find as there is much industry that supports them.

happy.gif

Anonymous

Re: Timex Display Case - Burned up motor!

No score for this post
March 18 2012, 6:55 PM 

Quite possibly dirty brushes and commutator from sitting so long. There is a spray that is used to clean them that is used in electric motors in radio controlled cars, boats, and planes. Motor getting hot is a sign of drawing to much current.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter