| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

A fresh look at what makes a Timex Rare

April 26 2012 at 3:38 PM
No score for this post
JerseyMo 
from IP address 12.233.96.228

----- Caution: if the use of the term rare causes you to lose sleep, or have uncontrollable fits of rage than, do not continue reading this posting. ---------

Definition of RARE
1: marked by wide separation of component particles: thin
2a: marked by unusual quality, merit, or appeal : distinctive b : superlative or extreme of its kind
3: seldom occurring or found: uncommon

I clipped the above from webster.com after viewing an eBay listing of a 1971 Viscount titled "Extremely Rare". It is my opinion that most sellers insert this as a means to push up the selling price. Many times I have sent the seller an email asking just what makes this item rare. The typical response is that their research tells them so. I thank them for the reply and have a nice chuckle afterwards. Okay so I am a harden guy who knows a line of BS when I hear it.

But, lets apply say line 3 to the cosmetic or mechanical condition of the typical used mens Timex watch we all pick up at a yard sale, or auction etc. They are filled with grime, dirt, and the DNA of the past owner. The plating is worn off the crystal looks like it was dragged across sand paper. The base metal looks like Swiss cheese. The movement is soaked with axel grease or the hair spring is pulled and so on. Yes, we have all seen way too many of these.

However, once in a while you pick one up and you turn the crown give it a tap and off she goes. A little scrubbing and the plating sparkles like new! So does this make it rare?

As much of a hard a@@ that I am I will have to say "well okay I'll give you that one". It is rare to find a Timex in excellent condition. And yes I do have some in the collection as proof.

What do you think? Does finding a used Timex in great condition make it rare?

happy.gif

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Ian

Re: A fresh look at what makes a Timex Rare

No score for this post
April 26 2012, 5:34 PM 

I would say so. A (once) common watch in rare good condition!

Works for me.

Ian

Paul / Canada

Rare Sprite Today .)

No score for this post
April 26 2012, 5:41 PM 

One of a kind Sprite - a generous gift from my friend Mo - a nos blue wood grain dial with a red sweep coupled with a vintage grained band I found
Thanks again Mo!
Cheers Paul / Canada
[linked image]
[linked image]

JerseyMo

wow

No score for this post
April 26 2012, 7:26 PM 

that looks really great with a close up pic.

happy.gif

JerseyMo

sellers reply

No score for this post
April 26 2012, 7:29 PM 

As i stated, most sellers replies fail to support the use of "Rare". But in this case the seller pointed out sevral of the features and the condition of the watch that make it rare.

This in itself was RARE!

happy.gif

technoguy

Finding ANY...

No score for this post
April 26 2012, 7:37 PM 

"vintage" item in a "mint", "unused", "like new", or "very good" condition would certainly qualify it as "rare", IMO. Once it goes into the "good", "fair", "poor", or "total mess" condition catagories, then it should not be described as "rare" unless, perhaps if it is only one of less than ten left in existence on planet Earth!

I believe that there is a very strong psychological component involved in how people judge the rarity of items which is often overlooked. There could be a million of a particular item somewhere on planet Earth, but if the buyer has been unable to find one despite years of effort, then he will consider it as "rare" and being willing to pay more to obtain it. If, OTOH, a person ALREADY has, say, a dozen of a particular item, then, even if they are the last on planet Earth AND the person does NOT know that fact, he will consider the item to be "common" and be willing to sell them off at a lower price.

Buyers and sellers interacting for the exhange of an item for money often enter into a bizarre "mind game" in which the seller tries to create the impression that what he is selling is "rare" while the buyer tries to create the impression that it is really "common". For a sale to take place, they both have to reach an agreed upon price which each thinks justifies the item's ALLEGED rarity or commonality. As the global economy continues to slip toward the Greatest Depression ever, expect to see this type of bartering increasing as buyers become less willing to robotically pay the first price offered. People are increasingly trying to avoid using their credit cards nowadays in an effort to knock down personal debt and that will have a chilling effect on the future sales of all supposedly "rare" items.

technoguy

JerseyMo

Re: Finding ANY...

No score for this post
April 26 2012, 10:04 PM 

well ya kinda lost me with how a so called rare Timex will cause a total colapse of the world economy.

happy.gif

technoguy

The sale of...

No score for this post
April 27 2012, 12:52 AM 

vintage watches has little to do with the coming global financial collapse. That collapse is the result of the grossly inflated fictious prices of various commodities, currencies, and "investments" that has occurred over the last 40 years. Whole national economies as well as personal wealth have been invested in these bogus items which, when everyone finally decides to cash them in at the same time, will show their TRUE value. That will be equal to the value of the paper they are printed on!

I estimate that when the big blowout finally comes, it will create a "hole" in the global financial system of about 150 TRILLION USD. There are no central banks, stimulus plans, etc. that will be able to fill that hole it. The only solution will be to start over again with a new GLOBAL economy that is strictly based on precious metals and NOTHING else such a "fiat" currencies or "promisory" government notes.

It will be an entire different economic world from the one we know now. But, it will be a far more stable and less volatile one. The world is soon going to learn an important lesson when it comes to money.

technoguy

Gator Dude

Re: The sale of...

No score for this post
April 29 2012, 11:18 AM 

On a serious note, over the last few years, I've been laid off, been subject to salary freezes, had to move for jobs and I've seen my wife struggle to find any decent employment.

---but---

On a lighter note, if I ever do sell my old Timex, I'm posting it as the Rare Vintage Lost Timex of the Global Economic Apocalypse. happy.gif

You can see more watches and reviews at --
www.thewatchdude.blogspot.com

technoguy

Sorry to read of...

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 11:05 PM 

your financial problems. The REAL unemployment rate (unemployed + subemployed + gave up looking) is probably about 20% in the USA right now. I have friends in the trades (i.e., plumbers, carpenters, electricians, etc.) here in my state that tell me they are seeing about a 30% real unemployment rate.

This is the inevitable consequence of having the wealth drained out of our country by entering into losing trade deals all over the world with the mistaken belief that things will eventually stabilize as the middle classes in those various Second and Third World countries continue to grow. In actuality, as their middle classes grow, OURS will continue to shrink! I think that things are probably going to get alot worse before they begin to stabilize. Hope I'm wrong about this...

technoguy

When you open it up....

No score for this post
April 26 2012, 9:30 PM 

its mostly pink in the middle.

JerseyMo

I think

No score for this post
April 26 2012, 10:05 PM 

that is more like medium rare and that is a post for another day.

happy.gif

We COULD pool knowledge - - -

No score for this post
April 27 2012, 3:40 AM 

- - and list the rarities in some way. The first three might be The Dorado, The Southampton and the real Mil Issue. Bill D would include the Olympics one as well I would think. wink.gif

Then there's the header watch - the Ben Hogan, both versions, the wrist and the moneyclip/belt version. Any other contenders? happy.gif

Let's make it a wee project? See if we can come up with a joint list of a "Top Ten" (or Twenty) and in some sort of order of rarity and I'll see if I can put together maybe a reference page with pictures suitably watermarked to stop folks using them as stock photos on the bay maybe?

e~gards

Mel

Frae Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland

http://www.timekeepers.me.uk
Affordable and Everyday Watches

http://www.sequencedance-online.co.uk
My other hobby - Sequence Dancing

http://www.timexwatchforum.com
The Timex Watch Forum

George S

Re: We COULD pool knowledge - - -

No score for this post
April 27 2012, 6:05 AM 

I like the idea of making a reference page for our favorite watches. However, my sense is that there are literally dozens of models that are highly prized collectibles and the battle over which 10 (or 20) should be listed could get ugly. We could designate several categories such as Pre 80s Mechanicals, Character, Post 80s (Zulu, etc.), Jeweled Movement, Rectangular Format, Military Style, Rebranded (Tower, Kelton, SAGA, etc.), or whatever This would highlight the broad variety of pieces made by Timex and the ones our members find the most interesting. For simplicity, and for the sake of harmony, we would not even have to rank them. We actually do this sort of thing from time to time, in our daily posts by asking for your favorite but it would be nice to have this feature as a sticky page that would be easy to access. I know this is all easier said than done, but I thought Id throw out the idea.

rare

No score for this post
April 27 2012, 6:50 AM 

[linked image] finding an old timex in mint condition is a rare occurance regardless of whether it is a hard to find, rare, model. this one seems to be rare, but not especially collectable, just because nobody seems to have the exact same one. i like it for its design, but i'm stuck on the nostalgia that a mechanical ticking evokes. i'd certainly be interested in seeing rare ones without having to establish a list, especially ones mentioned above. i liked the pink comment, too. tim

JerseyMo

World Timex Standard

No score for this post
April 27 2012, 9:43 AM 

In preparation for the total collapse of the world economy I propose that vintage Timex watches become the new precious metal that backs currency!

Now in order to get this into place we must establish an ordered list of rarity. A Ben Hogan in the original box is like the ultimate, or something.

On the other hand maybe its not a good idea. My true objective was to stimulate some dialogue amongst the members. Which I would say was achieved. Peace out......

happy.gif

technoguy

After the Big Blowout...

No score for this post
April 27 2012, 10:46 PM 

I see the world converting to a single, global currency. It may be paper money, BUT, one will ALWAYS be able to take a certain minimum amount of it into his nearest bank and exchange it for a FIXED equivalent amount of either gold (my favorite metal), platinum, or silver. That will be it. There will be no more currency exchanges and the money changers will have to find a new line of work. And, of course, one ALWAYS be able to go into his nearest bank and exchange these for the global currency. In he has these metal in an unminted form because he acquired them from, say, mining, then HE would have to pay for the refining and assaying to assure that they were 0.9999 fine before the bank would accept them and hand him the equivalent in global dollars.

People will no longer be able to borrow money. If one wants something, then he must have the global dollars / precious metals to pay for it in full. That will eliminate such things as bankruptcy and "credit cards". Buying a high priced item such as a home will not be done through a mortgage, but rather on a "lease to own" basis. The buyer will make monthly payments on his lease (which will include a profit for the title owner) and, after a few decades, the lease will expire and the buyer will own the property outright. If the buyer fails to make months payments on his lease for, say, three months in a row, he is OUT. He is then given back what he paid into the lease minus depreciation, must move, and the depreciated property is then leased to someone else.

Life is really very simple. It's people obsessed with schemes to enrich themselves that makes things UNnecessarily complicated.

technoguy

Bill D

Re: A fresh look at what makes a Timex Rare

No score for this post
April 27 2012, 11:32 AM 

I would say most collectors of Timex would use the term rare to describe watches that fit #2a such as the Dorado. It is different as it is the only solid gold Timex but not rare in the sense of #3 in that they can readily be found. A better term than rare might be unique but that doesn't have the ad pizazz. Same goes for the Hogans.
Term #3 (aside from condition) might describe one such as the Electro-Alarm which I doubt you will find many more than the 2 I am aware of in years of watching. Or others might be the one with a light on the crystal and the battery and switch in the band or the back wind electric with a display back. JMHO

Bill D

JerseyMo

Yo Bill

No score for this post
April 27 2012, 2:26 PM 

first the shuttle flies by and now Bill D stops in. and to thinkg I was gonna play hookie today!

happy.gif

Michael Morrill

Bill,

No score for this post
April 29 2012, 9:23 PM 

Might you post a pic of this mysterious "electo alarm" of which you speak, so far I have a Southampton in both the white dial and black, and a Ben Hogan wristwatch, and belt clip, I expect never to have a Dorado (the price of gold will I think do many of these in, both price-wise, and expense (you should see what some people do th watches to get a the gold, disgraceful) but this "alarm" has me intrigued!

Bill D

Re: Bill,

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 6:47 AM 

Michael Morrill

WOW

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 10:26 PM 

Learn something new every day! I like that! A new grail to search for! I am having a heck of a time with the Q quartz..seems they are not all created equal! The locating hole for the day wheel is not in the same spot..errr making things a little difficult!

Current Topic - A fresh look at what makes a Timex Rare
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter