| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

32 Movement Diagnosis

May 8 2012 at 8:44 PM
No score for this post
Mike 
from IP address 24.56.181.156

Ive been bitten by this recent skill of taking apart these movements, cleaning and oiling them and putting them back together. I have just put a 32 back together and she runs when in the dial up position. When I turn it over (dial down) she stops. Since Im new to this I dont have the experience to look for the obvious. After staring at this for a few days Ive noticed that the pallet has what seems to me to be a lot of up/down play in its pivot holes. When viewing the pallet pivot hole from the dial down position I can see sideways movement while its rocking (viewed with an 8X magnifier). Seems to me to be out of spec here. I dont know how much play there should be.

Heres my plan to remedy this,

1. Swap out the pallet for another one. I have a few I can try.
2. If one were to try and fix it, is the pallet or the dial plate the usual culprit for wearing out first.
3. Is peening the pallet to enlarge it a viable attempt.
4. Is peening the dial plate hole a viable attempt.

Im afraid I becoming more of just a parts replacer and trying to think of other solutions.

Anyone willing to share knowledge would be much appreciated.

Regards,
Mike

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Look back for posts from Greg

No score for this post
May 9 2012, 4:49 AM 

- - and drop him an e-mail, Greg is a watch repairer who will tackle Timex repairs and advocates complete strip and re-build - - I'm sure he'll offer his advice to you happy.gif

Others may have other solutions. wink.gif

e~gards

Mel

Frae Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland

http://www.timekeepers.me.uk
Affordable and Everyday Watches

http://www.sequencedance-online.co.uk
My other hobby - Sequence Dancing

http://www.timexwatchforum.com
The Timex Watch Forum

technoguy

Sorry to...

No score for this post
May 9 2012, 6:41 AM 

read of the problem you are having.

That excessive play of the pallet lever pivots in their holes most likely indicates that there has been excessive wear in the holes themselves due to insufficient servicing / lubrication. Just replacing the pallet lever will not solve the problem. You will need to replace the plates with the worn out holes in it. Most here would just replace the entire movement and use the old one for spare parts for other restorations.

If the movement had jewels to hold the pivots, then it would be possible to just replace the jewels which is not that difficult to do.

technoguy

Current Topic - 32 Movement Diagnosis
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter