| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |
The Timex Watch Forum
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

Help Identify Watch - Hampden - USA

June 20 2012 at 8:18 AM
No score for this post
Jerseymo58 
from IP address 173.54.54.182

Anyone familar with Hampden Watch Co? I have found some info on the company and like most of the 19th century they were pocket watch makers. Howerver, they did alos produce wristwatches. The condition of this one is amazing and looks like it is a few years old. Whihch has me thinkg maybe a replica? Who would make a replica of an old fashion watch to such detail? Or perhaps it was a ladies pocketwatch movement placed into a retro case?

The movement has 'The Four Hundred' Canton O USA 17 Jewels. the balance won't swing. besdies the great look it is a 'set lever' too. The lever is just below the 5 hour . you pull it out to set the time.

any ideas?

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

happy.gif

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

EdH

NICE watch, JM! Did you discover the posting from NAWCC about Hampden? If not>>>>

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 4:52 PM 

here it is:

NAWCC Hampden Watch USA

Hope this helps.

Photobucket

JerseyMo

Yes

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 5:15 PM 

I found that info on NAWCC and also looked in my copy of "Complete Price Guide to Watches 2012" by Richard E. Gilbert, Tom Engle and Cooksey Shugart .

all helpful but, could not ID the model. The watch is currently at the watch maker to determine what it will take to get it running. The watchmaker agreed with me that it is a recased ladies pocketwatch movement. Given the condition of the case it had to be recent with respect to the date the movement was produced. Which based on the serial number is between 1907 and 1908. Now just why someone went ahead and did this is a question that cannot be answered. So, I will call it my 'Fraken' Hampden!

happy.gif

Michael Morrill

Thoughts

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 5:24 PM 

I know that the "wristwatch" was originally designed for ladies. The wearing of them for men didn't become popular until WWI and after. That is a very pretty one, I am wondering if the dial isn't hand decorated. You may try looking up the serial number on the movement and see if you can find any more info, such as date of mfg. In the meantime, here is today's watch:

[linked image]

JerseyMo

SN#

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 5:52 PM 

Yes, I did lookup the # which is how I dated the movement. The dial design matches up to many pics of mens pocketwatches made by Hampden. They did also make wirstwatches as well.

the company went bust in 1927. One intereseting note I found was that Hampden introduced the fist 17 jewel movement. all others before were 15 jewel.

happy.gif

John

I have seen...

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 9:03 PM 

this dial somewhere in my 'Boxes'. All I have to do now is sort through a few hundred. Your watch sure looks like a 'Molly Stark'. It was a four hundred movement and usually in 7-J. I do believe they were also made in higher jewel counts. The one 'set' screw that holds the movement in the case and the missing 'set screw' hole sure fit this case well to be a case swap. Does the case back have any names or marks on the inside? Is the case three piece( does the crystal unscrew from the case )? As you probably know the Dueber-Hampden equipment was reported as being seen in about 1986 in a working watch plant in China.I'll keep looking. I hope you can get the watch working.

JerseyMo

Re: I have seen...

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 10:51 PM 

The case is three peices, case back, case body and bezel. The bezel snaps on and has a glass crystal. there is also a notch for the set lever to be pulled out. the case itself looks to be chromed. the case back is only stamped stainless steel.

I noticed the although the crown turns freely and the click is clicking, the mainspring is not gaining tension. The watchmaker said that could be due to the set lever not seating properly. Which ties into your comment that a screw appers to be missing. As for hte Molly Stark, I did come across that name. Will do some more digging.

This is turning into a great lesson on a very cool looking piece!

happy.gif

EdH

OK, JM, I found the Hampden Database>>>>>

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 10:32 PM 

and here is the link:

Hampden Watch Database

If was difficult reading the numbers on the back of the movement from your picture, but if I am off, then you can read them more easily and enter them in the database. I was reading 2338636. If not correct, then enter the correct number and follow the instructions at the top of the page.

According to the database, yours was produced approximately in 1907.

Hope this is helpful.

Photobucket

EdH

Sorry, I didn't read your other post more carefully! :>( (more)

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 10:35 PM 

It wasn't clear that you had located the Hampden Database, but apparently you did. Oooops, MY BAD!

Hope you find more info.

Photobucket

JerseyMo

NP Ed

No score for this post
June 20 2012, 10:54 PM 

I found the serial numbers fast. It was information about the model that seems to not be out there. Again, this leads me to think the watch was put together long after Hampden was a thing of the past.

happy.gif

EdH

I tend to agree with your conclusion, JM. Keep us posted in your quest. (nt)

No score for this post
June 21 2012, 1:22 AM 

happy.gif

Photobucket

Going sideways (as I tend to do :) )

No score for this post
June 21 2012, 4:00 AM 

"Hampden" as a name is also used as the name for the national football stadium - that's soccer of course - here in Scotland - it's called "Hampden Park" and is located in the Hampden area of the city of Glasgow, central Scotland. One just wonders, would the original name have been "exported" Stateside in some way by an ex-patriate immigrant from Glasgow? wink.gif

Incidentally, although it's the "NATIONAL and International Stadium", the club which plays there as it's normal home ground is an amateur club, Queens Park, unpaid "Gentlemen Players" who play the game for the love of it, and certainly not for "David Beckham" type money. happy.gif

History of the name Hampden in the US - - anyone?

e~gards

Mel

Frae Edinburgh, Bonnie Scotland

http://www.timekeepers.me.uk
Affordable and Everyday Watches

http://www.sequencedance-online.co.uk
My other hobby - Sequence Dancing

http://www.timexwatchforum.com
The Timex Watch Forum

JerseyMo

Answer found - Factory recase kit - Rare!

No score for this post
June 21 2012, 9:54 AM 

I came across a blog on Hampden Watch Co and found my answer. Seems that Hampden capitalized on the decline in popularity of pocketwatches in favor of wristwatches.

To do so, they sold a factory made conversion kit. One could take thier ladies model "Molly Stark" pocket watch and have a jeweler converted over it for them.

Now another bit of information I came across was a discussion on how "The Four Hundred" and "Molly Strak" movements were interchangable.

Therefore, what I belive is that I have a near mint case, with a superior 17 jewel movement and a braclet that was added sometime after the conversion. ( My guess is 40's). Yes, this one is RARE! If you look on ebay under Molly Stark you will find similar pocket to wrist conversions.

[linked image]

happy.gif

John

Glad you found...

No score for this post
June 21 2012, 3:53 PM 

the information you needed. Now I can stop looking in boxes and if I ever find mine I'll know what I have :>)

JerseyMo

Your hint

No score for this post
June 21 2012, 5:08 PM 

about the Molly Stark was the key to finding the answer. Thanks

happy.gif

Current Topic - Help Identify Watch - Hampden - USA
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Forum  

| Login/Logout | Timex Forum | Sales & Trades | Interesting Links | Contests | Manuals & Catalogs | FAQ's & Help | Off-Topic Section |

Timex Watch Forum stats counter
Web Site Hit Counter