Help   >>  Support Index   >>  Network54 Admin Forum   

Return to Index  

Re: Spam problem

February 8 2011 at 12:29 PM
No score for this post

(Premier Login ripperproductions)
N54 Volunteer Moderator

Response to Spam problem

Most likely, what happened was, your e-mail address was guessed. There are programs out there that do nothing but send e-mail all day, every day. They randomly (or not so randomly) send out e-mail to every possible server they can find. I had a problem a few years back when someone hacked into my server's database and found out all of the e-mail addresses that were associated with my websites (I had no less than 35 e-mail addresses at the time). Every one of them started getting SPAM on a regular basis. It took years to stop. Some of those addresses were NEVER used for anything. Not even test e-mails were sent through the accounts.

There are things you can do.

First of all, check the headers of the incoming e-mail to find out where they are being sent from. The "From" address is not always the originating address. You can send copies of the offending e-mails to your ISP and his ISP, including the header information in your e-mail. In most cases, you can at least get him to stop. Some e-mail providers are much more aggressive with their response. I was getting SPAMMED by a guy from a Yahoo e-mail address over some motorcycle parts I posted on Craigslist. I reported him to Yahoo. Within a day, the SPAM stopped and as a test, I sent an e-mail to him, from another account. It came back undeliverable. The account was closed.

spinbrush.gif
Ripper

sticky.gifNetwork54 Forum Tech Tips
sticky.gifAirbrush and Paint Tech Forums

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Copyright © 1999-2005 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement