<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

IPs switched on, NOT BY ME

January 23 2010 at 11:57 PM
Score 2.0 (1 person)
Jo  (Login JoFisho)
from IP address 110.32.42.240
Brisbane,
Australia

While I was on holidays the IP numbers got switched on on all of my forums, as well as the login required options. Obviously this upset a lot of the members as they consider it presonal information, plus I had made a public promise not to reveal IP numbers.

Was my account hacked? I have changed the password. Or did the admin intervene for some reason?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Premier Login ripperproductions)
N54 Volunteer Moderator

Re: IPs switched on, NOT BY ME

No score for this post
January 25 2010, 9:13 AM 

Go to your admin page and tuirn everything off that you do not want on. Is it possible someone had your login info? It's odd that this happened while you were on vacation.

Who knew you were on vacation and might have had your login info?

If it were more than just you, it might have been a server glitch, but no one else has complained about this. I don't think N54 would bother to go in and change your forum settings. It is not normally the way they do things. If there was a problem on your forum that required their intervention, they would simply shut it down.

That being said, what's all the fuss about IP addresses?

spinbrush.gif
Ripper®

sticky.gifNetwork54 Forum Tech Tips
sticky.gifSwap and Tech Forums

Jo
(Login JoFisho)
Brisbane, 04
Australia

No score for this post
January 25 2010, 6:49 PM 

The forum (one in particular) is a 'safe haven' for people from a group of private forums where the admin and the stalkers are the same people. There is a fairly overt attempt to control the views that can be experessed, in addition to basic money grabbing, and it seems that nothing is too low in achieving these goals. A lot of the members were conned into giving up personal info by the admin on the other sites, and they do not hesitate to use it against them. They can usually figure out who it is by the IP and some of the content they post.

N54 Volunteer Moderator

No score for this post
January 28 2010, 9:32 AM 

Why not report the other forums for terms of use violations? If that is what they are doing, you can have them stopped, but you must prove that what they are doing is either illegal or against the terms of use of their hosting company.

IP addresses do not prove any one particular user is posting the content that is being targetted. You need much more information than a set of numbers for an internet connection that thousands of people might share. Anyone saying otherwise is lying, or guessing.

spinbrush.gif
Ripper®

Jo
(Login JoFisho)
Brisbane, 04
Australia

No score for this post
January 30 2010, 1:18 AM 

Not just their IP - the content of the post also. In a fairly small community, that is enough.

The other forums are not on network54. They are private forums. I think most are attached to shops or internet businesses. They end up holding strong political biases, because it is easier to censor one side than handle the situation properly, so the politically motivated loonies have gone nuts trying to take control of the situation.

N54 Volunteer Moderator

You could still report them

No score for this post
January 30 2010, 7:51 PM 

if they are breaking any rules or laws with their comments.

I know this is probablt a waste of time, but tell your people to stop going to these forums that are causing them trouble. You could also make your forum private, which would cut down on some of the attacks.

spinbrush.gif
Ripper?

Current Topic - IPs switched on, NOT BY ME
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Copyright © 1999-2005 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement