November 30 2010 at 12:40 PM
No score for this post
Jane  (Login avula)
from IP address 173.64.199.240
Verizon Internet Services
ръ
Carrollton, Texas
United States

Hi, is there a way to delete individual forum posts? Does deleting my whole account also delete all the posts I have posted?

The reason I'm asking is because I'm getting some spam email and would like to delete posts with my email address in them.

Thanks for your help.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Premier Login ripperproductions)
N54 Volunteer Moderator

Re: Delete forum posts

No score for this post
November 30 2010, 9:21 PM 

Yes, there is a way for a forum owner to delete individual posts. If you are not the forum owner, you have to ask, in most cases. On rare occasions, some forum owners allow users to delete their own posts. They usually find out really quick that it is a bad idea.

Deleting your account will have no effect on posts you have already posted, unless they were on your forum, which would be deleted along with your account. Posts on other forums remain untouched by your account deletion.

It is highly unlikely that your SPAM problem is from Network54 posts, unless you type your e-mail address into the text area of your posts (never a good idea). If your e-mail address is simply in the place assigned to it on the posting page, it is most likely NOT the source of your SPAM problem (although, nothing on the internet is written in stone).

spinbrush.gif
Ripper

sticky.gifNetwork54 Forum Tech Tips
sticky.gifAirbrush and Paint Tech Forums

jane
(Login avula)
Verizon Internet Services
ръ
Carrollton, TX
United States

No score for this post
December 1 2010, 3:07 PM 

I'm not the forum owner, I just posted a message in a forum with my email address in the post(stupid, I know).

Do I have to ask the forum owner to remove the post or do I have to ask the network54 support?

Any suggestions would be helpful. I think account holders should be able to delete their posts if they want to. Almost all other forums allow users to delete their posts if they want to.

Any ideas why network54 doesn't allow this?

N54 Volunteer Moderator

No score for this post
December 1 2010, 9:09 PM 

First of all, it is up to the individual forum owner whether or not to allow self-editing or deletion. Network54 allows it as an option, but it must be chosen by the forum owner, not Network54. I do not visit a single forum where that is allowed. It is a very, very bad idea to allow it, simply because there are users who will naturally abuse the priviledge.

As for your problem, you need to ask the forum owner to delete your e-mail address or the entire post. If they are unable to help you, you could try to ask the N54 guys for help, but I am unsure if they are able to do that. There's a fine line between personal security and freedom for the forum owners to manage their forums. I honestly don't know if helping you would cross any lines....

spinbrush.gif
Ripper

Anonymous
(Login badbeat25)
Rogers Cable
Mississauga, ON
Canada

No score for this post
January 23 2011, 8:44 PM 

I created an account and made a post..i guess my email was listed. I have deleted that account..can I delete a post?

N54 Volunteer Moderator

Short answer - no

No score for this post
January 23 2011, 10:59 PM 

It MAY have been possible before you deleted the account, but only if the forum owner allowed self-editing. Once you deleted the account, you did away with ANY chance of deleting that post. Your only option now is to ask the forum owner to delete it for you. They may or may not comply with your request.

spinbrush.gif
Ripper

Anonymous
(Login badbeat25)
Rogers Cable
Mississauga, ON
Canada

No score for this post
January 25 2011, 5:47 PM 

will it ever be deleted?

N54 Volunteer Moderator

No score for this post
January 25 2011, 6:35 PM 

Maybe, maybe not. It is not up to Network54 to delete posts you made by mistake. It is not even up to the individual forum owner. It is up to you to be sure you don't put anything on the internet that you don't want out there for everyone to see.

spinbrush.gif
Ripper

Anonymous
(Login badbeat25)
Rogers Cable
Mississauga, ON
Canada

No score for this post
January 25 2011, 6:43 PM 

Does Network 54 have a email or phone number to call?

Very hard to find..

N54 Volunteer Moderator

No score for this post
January 25 2011, 7:46 PM 

Anonymous
(Login badbeat25)
Rogers Cable
Mississauga, ON
Canada

No score for this post
January 25 2011, 8:28 PM 

thanks..I will try.

Anonymous
(Login badbeat25)
Rogers Cable
Mississauga, ON
Canada

No score for this post
January 25 2011, 5:33 PM 

Hi,

I started a post/forum under the name Badbeat 24 and have deleted the account. I don't want my email posted for everybody to read. How can I delete or have someone @ Network 54 delete?

Thanks

N54 Volunteer Moderator

Score 1.0 (1 person)
January 25 2011, 6:38 PM 

Honestly, the time to think about this is BEFORE hitting "Post" to put your data out there for the world to have a look at. Is your e-mail address in the text area or is it in the box that said "Your Email (optional)"? If it is the second one, you won't have to worry about SPAM as it's encrypted there. If you typed it into the text area, get ready. You'll be busy deleting SPAM.

spinbrush.gif
Ripper

Current Topic - Delete forum posts
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Copyright © 1999-2005 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement