Home > Discussion Groups > Japanese Modelling

Message posting guidelines:

Full real names must be used at all times.

A valid e-mail address must be provided. (This is not optional)
Images must be posted at low resolution (72 dpi) and no larger than 760 pixels wide, and copyright/trade mark owners must be credited whenever reasonably possible.
4. From 1 November, registration is compulsory if you wish to post on this Japanese Modelling Discussion Group. For further information, please see the following message: http://www.network54.com/Forum/449919/message/1130495649/Compulsory+Registration+on+Discussion+Groups
Please read our Community guidelines before posting.
By contributing to this discussion group, you indicate your agreement to the Terms and Conditions of Use.
Posts that violate the guidelines or Terms and conditions of Use of the Missing-lynx.com discussion groups will be erased, and repeated violation of this policy may result in termination of the violator's account.
Japanese translation service

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Question about early and late Japanese WWII colors

August 7 2012 at 1:46 PM
Benjamin Wainer  (Login benjawainer)
Missing-Lynx members
from IP address 180.4.85.195

I'm quite ignorant about Japanese tanks and colors, so I would like to ask for help with this subject.

I'm a little confused about the subject of early and late colors, and I tried to search but couldn't find information about it. The thing is, I got both sets of Gunze Mr. Color lacquers, and according to the boxes the early colors were used until the year 18 of the Showa period and the late ones from year 19, which I think are equivalent to 1943 and 1944. However, when comparing the instructions of both Tamiya and Fine Molds Type 97 Shinhoto Chi-Ha, all the markings for the Tamiya one are in the new colors, and in the Fine Molds they're all in the old colors (except one homeland defense example), even ones as late as Luzon, and they cover pretty much the same period as the Tamiya examples. I think it's likely that in Saipan there might have been tanks in the old scheme, but also in Luzon? They didn't repaint their tanks to the new scheme?

Also I think I read somewhere that before they changed the scheme, they had discontinued the yellow lines in the tank, but still the Fine Mold markings, even the very late ones, are shown as with that line. If the old scheme really lasted that long, should these lines still be there? One last thing is that for the early turret Chi-Ha, in the Tamiya instructions they don't specify any particular color for the mantlet and main gun, but in the Fine Molds early ones it's shown to be painted a khaki color. Is this correct?

The reason for all of this is that I'm currently building a Shinhoto Chi-Ha plus a Type 1 Ho-Ni, and I'm not sure which schemes to use. I intend to paint the Ho-Ni as one from the Battle of Luzon (though it seems I don't have many options anyways), and not sure yet about the Chi-Ha, but maybe one in Saipan. So I would like to know if they should be in the old or the new schemes.

This message has been edited by benjawainer from IP address 180.4.85.195 on Aug 7, 2012 2:49 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login Takizawa)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Question about early and late Japanese WWII colors

August 7 2012, 11:09 PM 

Shinhoto and Ho-Ni I on Luzon were in late color scheme. Chi-Ha including Shinhoto on Saipan were in early color scheme with yellow lines.

> in the Tamiya instructions they don't specify any particular color for the mantlet and main gun, but in the Fine Molds early ones it's shown to be painted a khaki color. Is this correct?

Yes. Japanese tank guns with mantlet were painted in khaki at ordnance factory.

Taki

Respond to this message   
Benjamin Wainer
(Login benjawainer)
Missing-Lynx members

Re: Question about early and late Japanese WWII colors

August 8 2012, 1:02 AM 

I thought it was weird for tanks at Luzon to be in the early scheme, but the Fine Molds instructions had me a little confused. Thank you very much for the information.

Respond to this message   

(Login djnick66)
Missing-Lynx members

tanks

August 25 2012, 7:24 PM 

they were probably landed on the Island early on (they even had the Type 89 there in the Philippines) so I imagine they were in the earlier scheme.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Question about early and late Japanese WWII colors
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Terms and Conditions of Use
Report abuse