Return to Index  

Arizona State Field Target Championship Match Report

September 20 2011 at 2:29 AM

Mark Kauffman  (Login Mark.in.AZ)
YC

Arizona State Field Target Championship Match Report
September 17 & 18, 2011 Mormon Lake, AZ

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Well, the 2011 state shoot is history, but I am not sure where to start with the report; the weather, the shooting, or the FOOD, so I will take them in order.

The weather was absolutely delightful, highs both days in the low 70s with lows in the 40s. Sunny and bright with some high scattered clouds and light, but swirling and shifting winds along with (brief) moments of dead calm and a little thermal action. It rained heavily the week prior to the shoot and we found the site to have standing water in the low areas and driving tracts. It was just enough to make for muddy conditions but really easy to spot all the cattle that roam through the area along with some honkin big single elk tracks. There was certainly a big bull tip-toeing around the area and the size and depth of his tracks indicated that he might be a monster!

At this point I should interject the FOOD portion of the weekend, but I will let you salivate over that until later. Im mean, but the wait will be worth it.

Steve, Deb, Dale, Bobby, and I congregated just before noon on Friday and were joined later by Doc, Ron and Scott Jones. Within a few hours we had the course laid out and target placements figured out and set to take advantage of some really neat obstacles, wind currents, thermals, bright open areas and dark shadows. We are not necessarily diabolical, but did want a challenging course where what you thought you saw was somewhat deceiving. OK, so we are diabolical, but in a good sort of way.

Dale standing on top of his truck to get at the branch for the owl target.

For the uninitiated, the area that we use near Mormon Lake is called Perry Lake pit and is at an elevation of about 7200 feet above sea level. It is a gravel/stone quarry with a deep horseshoe shaped cut facing north. We use the area on top of the pit and extending to the south. It is heavily populated with old growth Ponderosa pine and scrub oak, interspersed with a lot of blow downs (dead and fallen trees), and some open meadow, tall grasses and numerous organic frisbees. It has lots of really neat places for target placements. The pit itself has a long sloping area on the west approach with very abrupt vertical drops along the south and east sides.

Long slope on west side of pit. Fish is visible at about 48 yards and snake to left at 55 yards. Notice wind flag on Bobby's gun.

View down into pit. Steve makes it look easy.

View across back of pit. The near target wasn't so bad, but the far target at almost 55 yards was a real bee-itch with the updraft.

We placed targets along the long slope to take advantage of the wind coming from that direction. We only put two targets in the pit that were downhill angles of no more than 30 degrees and between 35 and 50 yards. We then placed some distant targets across the back edge of the pit on the south side; totally exposed to the updrafts and thermals.

Len shooting one of the close targets with tiny killzone

Peter lining up a shot.

Dale on standing lane. Target is underneath the fallen tree in the rear.

Back on flat land, we used the trees and other obstacles to create some really neat affects. For instance, one of the standing shots was over one downed tree, but underneath the downed tree behind it and almost hidden in the shadows. We had targets in the trees, next to the trees, behind the trees, and hidden in the scrub oak. All were visible, but you had to shift to find them by following the strings and looking through little openings between the leaves. Other targets were plainly visible and out in the open, sorta. We figure it is more fun when you have to find the target, and we like to have fun. Clearly, this was not an easy course, but only had two offhand targets and no kneeling or prone shots.

sight in line.

shooters meeting.

Day One started out with a shooters meeting at 9:45 followed by the match at 10:00. We only had 21 shooters this year for various reasons, most having to do with the current state of our economy. We did have 4 guys, Hector, Vince, Bill, and Ron travel from California. Scott DiCapio traveled from Colorado, and Greg Frostad and family made the trip from New Mexico to join us in our pellet games. Thanks guys for taking the time and effort to join us. We hope that you had a good time and it was worth the trip.

At this point I should mention the FOOD, but only briefly. Justin and Jason arrived sometime on Friday night and immediately set up the barbeque. They were cooking all night long and had a few empty adult beverage containers to prove it. I took just a few pictures of the brisket doing its thing and smelling wonderful. I also managed to get a good shot of the rub used on the pork. There were absolutely NO self respecting terrorists within miles of our encampment. I only mention the food at this point because it was BEFORE the match started and the air was already permeated with the aroma of meat and pine. I could have died and gone to heaven at this point, but I hadnt eaten any of it yet. This only added to the shooting challenge, especially with Sandy nibbling at bits and pieces of it all morning, and sneaking the same to hubby (Bobby) during the match. Definitely an unfair advantage, especially considering that Justin is Sandys son.

The brisket is working.
The rub looks good.
Such a beautiful sight.
Can you say beans?

BY THE WAY, today is Monday and it is Sandys birthday! She claims to be somewhere about 39 and I have no reason to doubt her, so I wont mention any other numbers between 50 and 60. I know that Doc Shrader just turned 80 in January, and Emma & Sam are only 5-1/2 months old. So Sandy is somewhere in between. Happy Birthday Sandy!

Mary Ann and Scott with the twins, Emma and Sam.

We finished the days shooting and sprinted to get in line for beef brisket and pork BBQ, and then drenched it with their own wonderful sauce, and served alongside those wonderful baked beans and Cole slaw. I had to wait my turn behind some of the locals that showed up, namely a coyote, 2 marmots, and a family of squirrels, all with plates in hand. I never did check to see if they were on the roster.

Justin at the grill.

Jason at the serving line.

LUNCH!

While we were sitting or walking around burping, Debbie was busy selling tickets for our annual fundraising raffle. Airguns of Arizona once again went overboard in providing prizes donated by JSB, FX, Napier, Hawke, Otis, Daisy, and of course, Airguns of Arizona. There were pellets, cleaning kits, hats, a hand pump, a smooth bore barrel, pellet pouches, gun socks, a scope, a backyard shooting kit, and an RWS model 34 rifle. We are very grateful to all the companies that donated to our state shoot, especially Airguns of Arizona. They always go the extra mile to ensure that airgunning will continue to thrive and assist in providing the means necessary to help cover the costs of insurance, property leases, target acquisition and replacement and all the incidental costs of operating our club and promote air gun field target. We cannot thank them enough.

You know, I must have food on the brain because I failed to mention anything about the first days scores. Steve Montgomery had a 44 and a 1 point lead over Bobby Corcorran with a 43. Dale was right behind with a 42 and there were 4 of us tied with 40s.

Scott DiCapio had the lead in HFT over Peter Plesinger and Bill Tramel was way out in front of the field (of one) in piston class.

Day Two started out as beautifully as Day One. We have been blessed in having some of the best weather that could ever be expected; cool mornings, warming slightly by mid-day. Sunshine, punctuated by the occasional clouds and dappling down through the leaves provided the perfect amount of shade. Today the wind was not as prevalent as yesterday, but made its presence known at times, and just enough to be a bit distracting, but not annoying.

With different shooting partners and slightly different target or shooting line placement from yesterday, we moved forward to do battle once again. Yesterday, I was paired with Bill Tramel and Dale Keiser, but today, I was paired with Hector Alfaro. I had not shot with Hector before, but heard through the grapevine that his chattering is legendary. He did not disappoint, LOL! He shoots while wearing earmuffs and talks to himself. It must work because he is a good shot! Next time I shoot with him, I am going to have to try the earmuffs myself and see if it improves my scores. Sorry, Hector. I had to tease, but did enjoy shooting with you.

The Scores:

We finished Day Two with some scores flip-flopping, but the outcome the same. Steve Montgomery successfully defended his title as State Champion (87), even with a boo-boo in the middle of his forehead. Bobby Corcorran was one point behind (86) for First place in open class, followed by Dale Keiser (84) in second. Scott Jones and I tied with 82, but he edged me for 3rd place in the shoot off. Scott hit his target and I missed, but we had fun doing it.

State Champion, Steve Montgomery

First place open class, Bobby Corcorran

Second place open class, Dale Keiser

Third place open class, Scott Jones. If you remember the rifle raffle we had a few years ago, Scott was the guy that won. He used that same rifle to win third place this weekend. Great shooting and great guy.

Scott DiCapio won HFT with a 70 and Bill Tramel won Piston class with a 45. Hector Alfaro was High Out-of-State shooter, Robin Montgomery was High Lady, and Steve Timarac was High Senior.

Scott DiCapio took first in HFT.

Bill Tramel took first in Piston class.

Hector Alfaro took high out-of-state shooter.

High lady honors went to Robin Montgomery

High senior honors went to Steve Timarac

Hector Alfaro provided a prize that was to be awarded to the winner of a shoot off between the top two shooters. Steve and Bobby faced off to shoot for a 3 piece spear that Hector stated was over one hundred years old and from African Zulu origins. Hector had this mounted inside a beautifully custom made presentation case. As a result of this shoot off, Bobby is now the proud owner. Thanks goes to Hector for this generous gesture.

Hector presenting Bobby with African Zulu spear.

After the shooting was over and the medals awarded, we bid goodbye to those who had long drives home. The remainder of the club members then collected all the targets and packed them away until next time. We have a hard time breaking away to head home ourselves, especially after such a great weekend filled with fun and camaraderie, but there is always next month.

Many thanks go out to Steve, Bobby, Deb & Dale, Ron and Scott for setting up the course and to all those who helped take it down afterwards. Thanks to Debbie and club President Larry Piercy for running the raffle. Larry could not shoot this year due to other pressing matters, but he and his wife dropped in after we finished shooting on Saturday. Thanks also to Pam Tlapa for once again performing the photography duties. There are about 75 pictures that were taken, but unfortunately I cannot use them all in the report, but there are enough to give you an idea of the time we had.

A really big thank you goes to Justin and Jason of J & Js BBQ for traveling all the way from the Phoenix area just to cater for our group of hungry shooters. It was unbelievably mouthwatering!

I believe that about covers it all other than saying HI to Greg Tlapa who is serving on an ice breaker somewhere up in the Arctic. If you enjoy reading these reports, I will continue to write them and your mom will continue to forward them to you. Next month we will be shooting at the Dryes ranch near Flagstaff and would hope to see most of you there.

One last item; We had a short club meeting after all was finished on Saturday and made a decision to move the date and location of next years State Championship. We will have the match on the 3rd weekend of February, 2012 at the Ben Avery shooting complex in Phoenix. This will get the match to a more central location with plenty of lodging and restaurants nearby. It will also get the match away from interferences due to hunting season and other end-of-season matches, and hopefully provide a mid-winter break for any shooters around the country wanting to escape the snow for a warmer climate. Once I get the approval from the folks that do the scheduling at Ben Avery range, we will make this official.

Respectfully submitted,
Mark Kauffman
Secretary, Airgunners of Arizona

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.