Return to Index  

THE Temecula Challenge - report + pics

May 22 2012 at 11:55 AM

(Login AngliaUSA)
YF

THE Temecula Challenge 2012

There is only one of these and for good reason there can only be one Temecula Challenge and for us Field Target junkies the chance to shoot at this legendary event is not to be missed. Suffice to say this past weekends event was a huge success and enjoyed by all immensely.

So before I get into a proper match report might Id take this opportunity to properly thank LD and his wife and family for hosting the event and for all there tireless hard work which went into making it such a resounding success. From all of us who attended I think I speak for all of us when I say a very big THANK YOU !

They traveled from afar to come and shoot - some came from Texas, Utah, Northern CA, Oregon I myself am only 120 miles from Temecula although the 4 1/2 hours I spent crawling in Los Angeles Friday evening commute seemed like an eternity I managed to arrive around 8pm Friday night too late to take any pictures but many had already arrived and set up there campsites, tents and motor homes ready for the weekends fun.

The pictures are the best visual description of the event so Ill try to keep my verbal rhetoric to a minimum.

6am Saturday morning I was greeted to a spectacular morning still air and local balloon enthusiasts high overhead

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Not a bad location to shoot Field Target ..

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Now the 100yd sight-in range was already in use at 6am by the over eager Larry Pironne who warned me that he like to get up early and catch the still air . The man loves to practice and all that practice means he really knows how to shoot and shoot well I might add!

Heres Larry already on the practice range while most of us were still asleep !

[linked image]

[linked image]

After my mandatory wake up coffee I joined him on the line to warm up the wizzer .

[linked image]

Joined by another hard core early riser .

[linked image]

And as we practiced Bobby Cockran could be seen rock hoping like a mountain goat in the distance, setting targets, checking strings and making the final preparations to the course .

[linked image]

[linked image]

By 8am breakfast was served and enjoyed by all .

[linked image]

then came the obligatory sign in, pairings, shooters safety meeting and RULES.

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

New to the game for this years event was the rule that ALL shooters MUST have apart of there body touching the lane marker stake when taking there shots but must not be in front of the lane marker stake. This in effect limited a shooters physical position to being directly next to the lane marker so you simply werent able to sit, stand or kneel to get a good sight picture where ever you felt like it . YOU MUST BE TOUCHING THE POST !

SO . As you peruse the pictures of the competitors shooting you will please note the feet, elbows, hands, knees, shins, shoulders and other body parts touching the post

It quite simply meant that the bar had been raised and this was going to make the shooting even harder than anticipated

Ok Ive waffled on enough so lets get the pictures of the lanes, targets, shooters and crazy positions that we were all forced to get into to be able to make some ridiculously difficult shots ..

Bruce Adamson and I started on lane 6 . Now referred to as the long walk !

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Yup thats a 60 yd target hidden in a bush in the shadows with a 10mph cross wind easy peasy right ?.. NOT !

[linked image]

[linked image]

High shots,
Low Shots,
Most shots you simply couldnt sit comfortably strap in and see the target , as well as still touch the pole/post .

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Which brings me to one of the hardest targets on the course

The illusive rabbit on top of the mountain almost impossible to see, with a 1/4 paddle with a lot air around the kill zone the lead splatters on the rocks 5 yds in front of the shooters spoke volumes ..

[linked image]

[linked image]

Creative positioning to be able to just see it .
[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

I should point out that I shot this kneeling and hit it once which for me was huge !

and the 2nd target on the lane (3) a 40yd squirrel

[linked image]

more lanes

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Hot, tired, frustrated

[linked image]

But having a wonderful time

[linked image]

Ah yes and then came lunch !
LDs wife Andrea and his daughter slaved tirelessly over the BBQ and presented us with some very delicious Carne Asada looked and tasted like very fine TriTip yummy !

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

During lunch Bobby decided to wake up the Bench rest shooters .

[linked image]

[linked image]

whilst Ron looked on suitable unimpressed

[linked image]

A few friendly faces on the practice line

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The afternoon and evening consisted of much drinking, shooting the breeze good food, good drinks, good people and good conversations. Making new friend, catching up with old ones and covert operations to sabotage each others rigs in anticipation of the next days match .

Sundays match was more of the same except it was hotter and windier with gusts in the 10 15 mph ah what fun on an already difficult course.

[linked image]

Stamina and endurance was the key to success that and being able to dope swirling
Vortex winds from all directions, LD and Bobby had also moved a few targets further back to increase the difficulty level just for the hell of it I quess..

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

Leo had misplaced his dope on Saturday but found it on Sunday !

[linked image]

[linked image]

Whilst I started strong on Sunday with a 13/16 for the 1st 4 lanes , my shooting Partner Larry almost decided to give up and go home with a 3/16 on the same lanes ..

[linked image]

[linked image]

However he surreptitiously lent me his bum bag to sit on, on lane 5 at which point he stole my MOJO either that or his sabotage to my whizzer strted taking effect

From that point on Larry shot like a possessed demon on fire effortlessly knockin them down with his 12ft lb Pro Sport or Whiscombe eater as he likes to now call it !

Ah well . Suffice to say he gave me a serious beating and schooling in the art of shooting in the wind.

Lunch was more of the same excellent food , re- hydration and taking a breather before finishing the match.

[linked image]

[linked image]

and by 3pm it was over

The scores were tallied and the prizes presented!

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

The well deserved winners !
Bobby shot a superb Open score of 81
LD also shot an extremely high 71
And our Spring Piston Champ Larry Pirrone (who shot brilliantly) gave the National Champ Leo Duran and me the Arizona Champ and good spanking with a high score of 53

Kevin and Bobby
[linked image]

[linked image]

Larry and Leo
[linked image]

[linked image]

Jim and LD
[linked image]

All in all it was a great weekend and one that hopefully next year we can repeat.
Thanx again LD it was awesome.

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.