Return to Index  

Match Report FTRPA 5/20/12

May 22 2012 at 3:13 PM
Larry Bowne  (Login PAplinker)
YF

Well, at least I wont need my snow shovel to clear off the sight in range like I did back at our last match at the end of October, I thought to myself as I packed up the Plinkermobile at 6:30 AM on Sunday to make my way over to the Falls Township Rifle and Pistol Association for our first FT match of the year.

Despite the soggy weather earlier in the week which had kept Rich Bassett and Jim Wilcox (co Match Directors) from doing anything beyond planning the layout, they had used the drier days of Friday and Saturday to set up the 10 lane, 30 target course on the clubs borrowed 3 D archery course. I had volunteered to arrive early to set up the sight in range, which explains my early departure time even though I live only 4 miles from the club. The weather conditions were promised to be ideal, with a forecast high temperature in the mid to high seventies with clear, sunny skies and only light winds.

I had just about finished moving the paper target frames, swingers and a few practice field targets from the storage trailer to the sight in range when Rich showed up and went off to stretch out the target reset strings and bug spray the shooting positions.
Art Deuel was the first of the out of town competitors to arrive, all the way from Williamsport PA on his touring motorcycle, and he jumped in to help me finish the sight in set up. Plenty of paper, swingers and field targets made for a target rich environment where everyone could check their settings.

A steady stream of cars made their way back to the range with Stan and Al and Dale from
Maryland, the two Toms from Long Island, NY, Greg from upstate NY and Craig from upstate PA, Ray and Hans from NY, Carl from Delaware County PA and Fred from Delaware (the state), Hector and Veronica from CT all making the trek to compete.
Jim slipped in amongst the out-of-towners and helped Rich with the last details out on the course as additional local talent (FTRPA members) showed up in the persons of John and Chris and Albert (an accomplished 10 meter competitor, trying FT for the first time).
Rich and Jim handled the sign ups and squad assignments while everybody else put some lead down range to check their zeros, swapped stories and got ready for the match.

When all was in readiness, Rich called for a shooters meeting stressing safety and having a good time, gave out the lane and squad assignments and sent us out to shoot.
The details of the course layout and match results are below:

Field Target Course Layout
Falls Twsp. Rifle and Pistol Assoc.
20-May-12

LANE # TARGET KZ SIZE TARGET TYPE DISTANCE-YDS PLACEMENT

1 DOVE 1 1/2 GAMO 13 TREE
SQUIRREL 1 1/2 GAMO 24 GROUND
RAM 1 1/2 GAMO 44 GROUND

2 LITTLE BIRD 5/8 RJ 11 TREE
SQUIRREL 1 1/4 RJ 20 GROUND
TURKEY 1 ½ RJ 24 GROUND

3 DOVE 1 ½ GAMO 17 TREE
RAT 1 KD 20 GROUND
PIG 1 ½ GAMO 28 GROUND

4 SQUIRREL 7/8 AH 18 STAIR STEP
ARMADILLO 1 AH 20 GROUND
ROOK 1 1/4 AH 21 TREE

5 RABBIT 1 ½ KO 25 GROUND
SKUNK 1 1/2 KIRK 35 GROUND
FROG 1 1/2 KIRK 49 GROUND

6 TURKEY 1 1/2 GAMO 21 GROUND
PIG 1 ½ GAMO 30 GROUND
RAM 1 ½ GAMO 53 GROUND

7 SQUIRREL 3/4 RJ 12 TREE
TURKEY 1 1/4 RJ 22 TREE
GOPHER 1 1/4 RJ 32 GROUND

8 RAT 1 KD 23 GROUND
RABBIT 1 1/8 KD 30 GROUND
MOCKING BIRD 1 ¾ KD 46 GROUND

9 CORAL SNAKE ½ RJ 12 GROUND
SQUIRREL 1 ½ GAMO 19 TREE
RACCOON 1 1/4 RJ 28 GROUND

10 DOVE 3/4 GAMO 11 GROUND
FORCED DOVE 3/4 GAMO 14 GROUND
STANDING TURKEY 1 1/2 GAMO 21 GROUND

AVG TARGET DISTANCE= 24.77 yards

MATCH RESULTS
FALLS TWSP. RIFLE AND PISTOL ASSOC. FIELD TARGET MATCH
20-May-12

AAFTA PCP CLASS
Shooter Rifle Scope Pellet Score
Tom Holland Steyr LG-110 Nikko 10-50X JSB 8.4 54
Carl Johnson Steyr Leupold 35X 10.3 51
Al Otter USFT March X Premier Heavy 51
Rick Bassett Pro Target Leupold 40X Premier Heavy 47
Stan Lipinski CRX Leupold 6.5-20X JSB 45

AAFTA PISTON CLASS
Hector Medina RWS D54 Horus Vision 16X JSB 7.9 54
Art Deuel HW 98 Leapers 8-32X Premier light 39
Veronica Ruf HW 95 Hawke 6-24X H&N Barracuda 38

HUNTER CLASS
Chris Helm AA 400MPRFT Crosman 12X AA 8.44 52
John Tyler Marauder Centerpoint 8-32X AA 8.4 52
Jim Wilcox Steyr LG100 Hawke 3-12X JSB Heavy 51
Tom Wade Discovery Bushnell 6-24X AA 10.3 gr. 49
Greg Shirhall Marauder Centerpoint 4-16X AA 10.33 49
Albert Rogers Marauder BSA 8-32X JSB 8.4 48
Hans Apelles Marauder Hybrid Centerpoint 4-16X Premier Heavy 47

STANDING CLASS
Ray Apelles Marauder Hybrid Leupold 35X Premier Light 47
Larry Bowne AA Pro Sport B&L 4200 6-24X JSB 8.4 27
Dale Benson RWS 460 Bushnell 6-18X Premier Light 22

PISTOL CLASS
Shooter Pistol Scope Pellet Score
Larry Bowne IZH 46M Bush 6-18X JSB 8.4 26
Fred Mannis Crosman 1701P Hawke 3-12X JSB 8.4 7
Craig Evans FWB 103 Tru Dot 2X Beeman 7gr. 2

As always a big thank you to all the competitors; without you there is no reason for the match.
We must be doing something right because you keep coming back
Extra thanks for those who travel long distances at considerable expense to be here and extra special thanks to all
who stayed after the match to help with the take down.

With our new schedule our next FT match will be Sunday, July 15, 2012.
We hope to see you here.

Best Regards,

Larry Bowne for
The Field Target Committee at FTRPA

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.