Return to Index  

allow rangefinders?

May 28 2012 at 12:55 AM
Eric Chin  (Login echin)
YF

I realize this will be controversial, but looking for a scope has been driving me nuts. Its difficult enough to find a scope that offers decent glass, focuses to 10 yards, repeatable, and will stand up to springers.( I shoot a TX200) But adding the ability to rangefind seems to make the task impossible.

This led me to ask why not allow the use of laser rangefinders? They're commonplace now. I don't think they'll remove the difficulties of hitting the target. To me, field target requires us to learn our rifle's trajectory, hone our positions, judge the wind, and I'm sure there are lots of other skills that the better shooters realize are necessary to hit the target.

I don't think scores will improve much, probably not much at all, if any, for the top shooters, and I bet less than 10% for most of us. Even if I know how far the target is, wind and technique, i.e. skills, make more of a difference.

Has anyone tried a match where the distances are known? Or allowed a group to use rangefinders and to shoot the course twice?

I think allowing rangefinders reduces aggravation more than anything else. I think it will help to reduce cost in that I can buy a rangefinder and a $300 scope and compete on a fairly level playing field instead of having to spend $1000 for a scope, which may or may not help. And I think it may be harder to find a production scope that fits all of our requirements moving forward.

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.