Return to Index  

Standing " The gun is to be supported solely by the hands, shoulder, and cheek..

June 11 2012 at 4:37 PM
Wayne Burns  (Login Wackywayne)
YF

It's been brought to my attention that some shooters across the country, might be unknowingly shooting Offhand in an illegal position... ie.. using straps or thigh rests while shooting a standing shot. See "B" below: "Solely" being the key word. I think some of us, myself included, only noticed the part about "no rigid support from the ground to the rifle or the hand/arm supporting the rifle is allowed." ... and having seen thigh rests and straps being used by some shooters at matches, I assumed it was legal at AAFTA events as well and have so allowed it at our matches too.

Please be advised that, at the upcoming AAFTA Grand Prix event "Western States Championships" we will NOT allow any straps to the gun, or thigh rests to the hip, on Standing OFFHAND shots.

From the AAFTA 2012 rule book, page 13:

Shooting Position:
A. Any shooting position is allowed, but the range may be set up to
necessitate use of a forced position on some targets.
Regardless of any prescribed position, the shooter may opt to
shoot the target offhand (standing) instead. A sign declaring a
forced shooting position may be used at a shooting lane.

B. If shooting OFFHAND (Standing), no rigid support from the
ground to the rifle or the hand/arm supporting the rifle is allowed.
The gun is to be supported solely by the hands, shoulder, and
cheek.

C. KNEELING position definition: Buttocks clear of the ground, but
may rest on one foot. The bum bag or kneeling roll may be
placed under the instep of the supporting foot if desired. The
arm supporting the rifle may rest on the knee or leg. One knee
must be touching the ground. A cloth or THIN mat is allowed for
the knee on the ground. The gun is to be supported solely by the
hands, shoulder, and cheek.

D. Prone: The gun is to be supported solely by the hands, shoulder,
and cheek. The gun and forearm, from elbow to fingertips, must
be clear of any artificial or natural support. A mat may be used if
one is not provided. The body must be extended with the head
towards the target. The shooter's forward forearm must form an
angle of approximately 90 degrees.

Wayne Burns,
Match Director,
Ashland Air Rifle Range

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.