Return to Index  

Bill.....when I had that gun spaced up with an old Maccari..........

August 15 2012 at 10:20 PM

Ed Canoles  (Login nced1)

Response to has anyone ever squeezed much more than

Tarantula spring (33-34 coils of .128 wire with a .540 ID) I was able to extract 960fps with CPLs using the installed oring sealed piston cap. Years ago I even accuracy tested that gun at 30 yards with the 960fps tune and at my normal 910fps tune. EVERY 910fps group was tighter than the 960fps group. Also, when the light weight R9 velocity exceeds about 930fps the gun becomes VERY hold sensitive and the added recoil does negatively affect scope life.

LOL......when I shot a "match high" score at DIFTA recently I had my heavier HW77k detuned to shoot CPLs at only 860fps which gave a really nice shot cycle AND accuracy. At last months Maryland State Championship match I also took 1st place in hunter class even though I only hit 2 out of 12 offhand and kneeling shots by hitting over 90% of the rested shots at that match.

This gave me the idea to detune my new R9 (which I actually prefer shooting) to shoot CPLs in the 860fps range, however the lowest I could get with the oring seal and .120 wire Maccari spring was 870fps, so I went with that. I did well for the first half of the match (LOL....even hitting 50% of the offhanders) keeping up with my brother till the barrel shims of the new gun started seating in and the poi shifted due to reduced barrel pivot tension.

Anywhoo......I'm of the opinion that accuracy trumps velocity when it comes to field target.

P.S. IMHO, with a springer the higher fpe levels are better handled with heavy pellets like the 10.5 grain CPH, however the fly in the ointment is the fact that heavy pellets will reduce the spring life of R9 class springs. In the beginning my brother shot only CPHs for several years and I would replace a good aftermarket spring about every two years. He then switched to CPLs and he mentioned that he has only broken one spring since, and that spring spent a lot of it's "life" shooting CPHs.

This message has been edited by nced1 on Aug 15, 2012 10:27 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.