Return to Index  

Re: 10.)

March 20 2017 at 2:19 PM
Scott Hull  (Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Response to 10.)

I wasn't sure if the OPs intention was to solicit how to even out Hunter PCP vs Hunter Piston, or to bring parity to Hunter vs other Divisions. PCP has some inherent advantages over Piston, so we would need to handicap the PCP in some way in order to achieve that first goal.

Back to K (Knobs):

10) might help scores and make it less work for the Hunter shooter, but it does not encourage development of ranging skills.

Most all "Hunter" field target shooters us mil-dot scopes, or some other stadiametric reticle. Those reticles are designed specifically to range known targets. Give the the shooter something that they can use to practice their reticle range finding. Some standard sized features or maybe a cheat sheet with some target sizes.

In many cases, those "in charge" do NOT want the Hunter shooters using the scopes as intended, or they just want to keep the Hunter scores lower than the Open shooters. If that's happening, you will not have scoring parity with other Divisions unless we allow the same equipment.

What I have been doing at our matches: I do not go to extra efforts to cover targets or bases (at least most targets happy.gif). We use only 7 different face plates, with the majority being the ubiquitous squirrel target. The Hunter shooter can learn to apply stadiametric methods and get some semblance of parity for accurately ranging targets when compared to higher power scopes. I encourage it and have even done presentations at past matches on how to utilize that method of range finding. But I also tell shooters not to rely on that method, and that focus range finding can work for close targets when needed (and farther targets if they have a high power scope).

You may see matches where extra efforts have been made to hide targets/features, and the bucket-sitters/bipod-users are not allowed to use high power scopes (no freestyle). Those match directors do not want the Hunter shooters to have parity, so accept it and it's OK.

This message has been edited by Scotchmo1957 on Mar 20, 2017 2:21 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.