Return to Index  

Connecticut Air Gunners (CAG) Match Report 2017 April 2

April 3 2017 at 8:25 PM

Leo G in CT  (Login gonzav71)
YF12

Connecticut Air Gunners Match Report – 2017 April 2
Match Site: Long and narrow flat open field with a pond on one side and trees on the other. Open corn field beyond the trees and marshy swamp land beyond the pond.
Temperature: 35-60 degrees Fahrenheit
Wind: Shifting variable 10-20 MPH
Number of Targets: 27 (54 points maximum)
Average Distance: 36.48 yards (13 targets over 40 yards)
Average Kill Zone: 1.54” (Mix of 1 ½” & 40mm kill zones)
Course Difficulty: 27.18T (33.13T with Wind)
Bonus Target: Six shots (points max) at 2” paddle at 75 yards
Match Times: Setup 6:30-8:30 AM, Practice 9:00–10:10 AM, Match 10:15 AM-1:45 PM, Course Take Down 2:15 PM-3:00 PM

Results/Attendees:
PCP WFTF
28/54 John Eroh - Air Arms EV2 – AADF 8.4 grains – 790 fps - Sightron SIII 10-50x60 FT MH

PCP Open
42/54 Match High - Brian Van Liew - FX400 FT – AADFH 10.3 grains – 875 fps - Nikko Diamond 10-50x60 (Excellent shooting!)
25/54 Glenn Thomas - Hammerli AR20FT – AADF 8.4 grains - Bushnell 8-32x40

PCP Unlimited
18/54 Hans Apelles - 1720 rifle – AADF 8.4 grains – 760 fps - Leupold 35x

Piston WFTF
33/54 Nathan Thomas - Walther LGU – AADF 8.4 grains – 795 fps - Sightron SIII 10-50x60 FT MOA-H
32/54 Leo Gonzales - Walther LGU – AADF 8.4 grains – 775 fps - Sightron SIII 10-50x60 FT MOA-2
30/54 Matt Brackett - Air Arms TX200 – AADF 8.4 grains – 770 fps - Sightron SIII 10-50x60 FT MOA-H

Piston Open
11/54 Tom Holland - HW97K .22 – H&N Barracuda Match 21.1 grains - 571 fps - Leapers 8-32x56

Bonus Target Results:
2/6 Brian Van Liew
1/6 John Eroh
1/6 Matt Brackett
1/6 Nathan Thomas

Remarks:
Setting up Saturday April 1st (measurement and placement of target bases) was miserable to say the least. Constant chilly rain from the morning until late afternoon and heavy winds made things quite challenging. Changing the day of the match from Saturday 1st to Sunday 2nd proved to be the better call than just cancelling the match all together.

It was cold setting up in the Sunday morning but got warmer into the high 50s as the day progressed. John helped setup the course and especially the one elevated tree shot - a Gamo/Quality Target Bat face plate. John used my 21-foot ladder to get it done. Many thanks for John's help in making this match happen.

Wind, wind, wind, a little more wind, a little bit more wind and a boat load of wind. That was the general description of the match conditions. Shifting variable winds troubled everyone. Aiming 3-8 inches away from the kill zone was the hard lesson to learn in these trying conditions. Many wind flags were fluttering horizontal at times.

For the first match of Connecticut Air Gunners, I wanted to do a match with all full-sized kill zones and an average distance greater than 35 yards. I knew a few people in the Northeast and New England area who are planning on going to Wales this September. I have read that WFTF matches have 60% of the targets set beyond 38.27 yards – 35 meters. I wanted to simulate similar match conditions (difficulty wise) for those shooters as a training session. The windy weather made a hard match into an insanely difficult one. It might be similar conditions in Wales. The scores show it. Many comments (gripes) during the practice session and during the match about missing the kill zone left and right – holding off too much or not enough.

For the bonus target (a side match), Paul Porch made a custom 2" round paddle only target. I placed a white foam core board behind it for higher contrast and visibility. I highly commend John, Nathan, Matt and especially Brian (twice) for hitting the 75-yard bonus target in those windy conditions.

We did have four cold lines for targets that got unclamped from the wood bases. For the next match, I will just screw the targets to the wood bases rather than clamping them.

I was surprised that Tom Holland was shooting his Thumbhole stocked HW97K. He mentioned that all of his PCP rifles were not in a shootable condition – in pieces. Welcome to piston rifle shooting Tom.

We had two spectators Bob from Rhode Island and Ken from CT. They seem to have an enjoyable time talking to the shooters about field target and air rifles in general. I hope to get them shooting for our next match.

Thanks to all who attended, helped take down the course and made the match a good first start for CT Air Gunners.

A special thanks to Tom Wade and Hector Medina who do not make it to the match but donated some match related supplies (Hector - 9 Remington KD targets, 60 plastic clamps; Tom - 12 Paper Target Holders) making the match possible.

Next match: April 30th Sunday.

Leo Gonzales
CT Air Gunners
ctairgunners.weebly.com

Link to photos below.
https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ausj-Y-SAaOxidIbqAO3G6eNJesXrA

This message has been edited by gonzav71 on Apr 3, 2017 8:39 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.