Return to Index  

12x magnification

April 15 2017 at 7:32 AM
Sam  (Login ancient1one)
YF12

Response to Anybody using Hector's SpecialFT Sightron for Hunter class?

I have tried about 12 mid range to higher end scopes for the hunter class. Not one ranged past 45 yards consistently. Last season I compared the Sightron sIII and the Optisan Viper the first couple of matches. Range finding was similar out to 35 - 40 yards and I felt the Sightron was slightly better out to 45 yards.

When I first started FTH I owned 3 Hawke Sidewinders 6.5-20 x 42 with the same 10x mildot reticle, one of the 3 Hawke scopes range finding capabilities was noticeably better than the other two and was pretty accurate out to 45 yards on 12x. The other two struggled past 38 - 40 yards. This made me realize all scopes are not equal even when they look exactly alike and are made by the same company.

If your looking to buy the Sightron sIII or any scope for FTH 12x I recommend getting one with a 20x 1/2 mildot reticle or the Hector MOA-H reticle. I made the mistake of listening to guys on the forum complaining the MOA-H reticle was too busy. If you do not click and use the reticle for holdover you want busy. The nicest reticle I have tried is the Hawke TMX then the Sightron MOA-H, just the reticle design not glass clarity. I looked through a buddies Hawke with the AMX IR reticle and thought it would be good for HFT.

After all the above if someone asked what scope should I get for HFT PCP I would say do not spend more than $350 - $400 because there is no scope that can range find past 40 - 45 yards accurately on 12x.

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Good points - Paul in Zhills on Apr 20, 2017, 9:33 AM
  •  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.