Return to Index  

I think it's GOOD.

May 10 2017 at 12:42 AM
Scott Hull  (Login Scotchmo1957)
YF

Response to Geez guys lighten up ...

and worthy of a separate discussion.

AAFTA could require that all GP matches have standard sign/numbers at each target. Then more Hunter Division shooters would learn how to bracket.

And when someone in Hunter Division then complains about not being able to range the far targets, we tell them: "You need more practice - Learn to use mil-dots, and then practice bracketing".

It becomes a practice issue rather than an equipment allowance issue.

As it is now, I bracket when I want to. Compiling the info is not alway easy, but most all info is out there if you're willing to put the time in. Even AAFTA obliges us by providing scales and KZ sizes for their target inventory:

http://aafta.org/Assets/images/Targets/aafta_targets.html

Those targets are often included in the National match. Some of the commercial targets (Gamo for instance) are easy in comparison.

A standard sign at each target would save people a lot of work. They would still need to insure scope calibration and practice their bracketing.

For the Temecula WFTF only match, it's not really an issue.

Note:
I don't really mind when MDs attempt to thwart bracketing. It makes it fun/challenging. I then have to come up with alternatives. Weird angles? Hiding faceplates?, etc. Bring it on. Besides, I can focus range and/or guess the target distance as well/or better than most. If they make it easier to bracket, it will help others more than it will help me. I then might lose some of my "unfair" advantage.

Fun with math - angled block correction factor: (COS(ATAN((dots-Length/Length)*(dots-Width/Width))))
I did that early on when I started to see more angled blocks. So I put it in a chart:
angled-block-00.JPG

Angled blocks take two dot measurements instead of one, but even with a sloppier dot read, it can give a more accurate distance than when the block is straight on. I think that angling the blocks fell out of favor as I see more straight blocks these days. The straight blocks are faster/easier, but do not give a more precise distance.

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.