Return to Index  

Understanding and Caring are two different things

May 16 2017 at 11:37 AM
Tyler Patner  (Login Tpatner412)
YC

Response to Can Open and WFTF shooters understand the 12x Hunter problem?

So what are you looking for? WFTF and Open shooters to understand what you call a "problem"? Or For them to care about said problem? Or both? The distinction is important.

But to make a blanket statement that Open and WFTF shooters don't care is ridiculous. I would consider it perfectly reasonable not to care if the "problem" doesn't impact you directly. End of the day, why does it matter if they care or not? Your point is better proven coming at this from another angle in my opinion, and you could've gotten there a heck of a lot faster.

Your post sounded like whining until the last sentence, at least to me. You said "Who knows, it might quell some of the clamoring for "Unlimited" classes, and a retention of shooters in Hunter."

I'm more focused on the retention part, and the potential for such a magnification change to make it easier for new shooters to get into it and stay into it. I don't think anyone can argue that 16x would be anything but good for the game (notice I'm saying the game and not Hunter class specifically). But you take so long getting to that one sentence, that most people probably won't even read it. Or worse, miss that important point in your post.

Instead of making this about how the other classes "Don't care", make it about how we can improve and grow the sport. After all, individual shooters in other classes aren't going to care unless they're concerned about growing the sport and retaining shooters at their clubs. Which is something I believe a lot of us want and are actually concerned about. Making the game easier for the new shooters without drastically altering the rules should go a long way to retaining and attracting new shooters.

Center this post around the game as a whole, instead of Hunter versus WFTF and Open...and I assure you, my response would be full of praise and agreement. But take this "us vs. them" approach and you will lose your audience before you make your point.

So the real question and title to your post should be:
"A suggestion for growing and retaining the sport"

Get rid of the negativity, come at this from a FT-centric perspective (instead of a Hunter class only perspective), and people will stand with you....at least I would.

I look forward to seeing you in Heflin this weekend. Would love to discuss further there.

This message has been edited by Tpatner412 on May 16, 2017 11:55 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.