Return to Index  

Part of the problem is that no one tells people HOW to cock

May 19 2017 at 9:46 AM

Hector Medina  (Login HectorMedina)
YF

Response to Shoulder problems.

a powerful springer.

There are a FEW videos and notes here and there on the safety of it, but VERY LITTLE, or nothing at all on the ergonomics.

Another part of the problem is that most males like to cultivate the "macho image" and, so, do things the way they think people EXPECT them to do, instead of finding out which is the best way for EACH individual.

Anatomically speaking we are all different, but there are SOME similarities between specimens of the human race. We can build on that.

When I handed my wife a Diana 54 to cock, the reaction after the first fail was "NO EFFING WAY", LOL!

So, I sat down with her on our respective bumbags and I taught her how to cock the gun.

Women and Juniors are not particularly upper-body strong, so what applies to one also applies to the other. It ALSO applies to males that have lost their upper body strength for whatever reason: medical, chronological, or mental (I will always maintain that if you think you cannot do something, you will be right).

The trick is to learn to use BOTH arms and use the BACK muscles to PULL DOWN.

In the case of most people and the D54/56, that implies putting the buttpad of the gun ACROSS the off leg's lap with the lever facing OUT, and using both arms to cock the gun. With little practice, both arms will not be needed and one arm will suffice accelerating the process. You can decide which arm gets the workout.
You will have to lean back a little so that the gun does not fall forward. And after the first half of the stroke you will find yourself pulling the lever into your body more than down, but that is just the mechanics.

You also may need to adapt the technique to YOUR physique. As I said, we are all different.

To apply this technique to a breakbarrel or underlever, cradle the buttpad between your legs or hold it on top of your belt buckle, then use both arms to bring the barrel or the lever out, down and into your body.

As a gunsmith, I have to "shoot in" many a D48-56, most of them full powered guns, and the minimum "shooting in" for those require at least 1,000 rounds.

I can go through the process in about a week. It also helps that I do barrel cleaning in a strict sequence and order, so I stop to do this.

¿Do I have huge arms? Nope! I weigh in at all of 172#
¿Am I a strapping young lad? Nope!, I'm 60 years young
¿Have I led a charmed life? Doubt it. More than my share of bone fractures derived from several years of jumping out of perfectly good airplanes.

As with spring-piston airguns, the best advice with our bodies is to LISTEN to them. They both tell you what is right and what is not.

Minds are like parachutes, unless they are open they will not help much. So are ears and the other senses of self.

Try the method described above. It will seem clumsy at first, but in time you will get the hang of it, and, of course, an EFFICIENT airgun helps as it reduces the effort required to get the ME you need.

HTH

HM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.