Return to Index  

Mt. Cheaha Airgunners Inaugural UKAHFT Match Report

June 27 2017 at 9:27 PM

Paul Oswalt  (Login libertyman777)
YF

Well we did it. Although this isn't our first match trying this format, this is the first match that we have shot in the UKAHFT format as an affiliated club. And I can honestly say that it was a success.

Even though we had to deal with the remnants of Tropical Storm Cindy, the sky at least remained dry. But that could not be said for the ground. Shooting match proved invaluable.

Although the format is different from FT, WFTF or even AAFTA Hunter, everyone seemed to enjoy themselves in spite of the learning curve.

We are planning at least one more match to coincide with the regular FT match before going to a separate match day. When we do change over, the UKAHFT match will be held on the 4th Saturday of the month and the normal FT match will return to the 1st Saturday.

As for Saturday's match, we shot a round of 15 pegs, two shots per peg. (I had 30 available but could not get everything set up due to the weather).

I would rate the difficulty level as Easy/Moderate. I didn't want to make it too hard the first time out and everyone seemed to be appreciative.

The game is a great deal of fun. It requires a completely different skill set than tradition Field Target. Although it is completely separate from FT, it is very easy to set up and run concurrently with FT.

My contact at UKAHFT is Pete Sparkes. Super guy. Really passionate about the sport and has been very helpful, patiently answering all my questions.

One big concern was about over power guns. My main goal here it to introduce a field target sport to those in my community that have airguns but don't currently participate, primarily kids with their dads. So with that in mind, I knew that most every spring gun sold at one of the big box stores was over power as far as the UK legal limit is. I explained this to Pete and what we came up with is simply to class all divisions with an over/under 12 fpe.

So the upper limit is 20 fpe, just like AAFTA. This is the ONLY deviation that I'm making to the rules. It works out well though. We had an AAFTA Hunter shooter use his 20fpe PCP. One of the spring gun guys was over 12 fpe too. . I think this is a good representation of what we can expect from local shooters.

It is actually the scope rules that make the game what it is. That and no sitting shots. So, one sets their scope to a certain power level (most were between 6x and 12x at our match) and a mid range parallax setting, then illumination if needed. Once the first shot is fired, the scope is cannot be touched, period. Range finding is based on a combination of whether the target is clear or blurry and bracketing.

Anyway, if you have any questions feel free to email me. Club affiliation is easy. The already have a world governing body so it's just a matter of sending your information in and setting up according to the rules. Easy peasy.

Here's how the match played out. Hi score today was Rod Bradley.

PCP 12 fpe

Rod Bradley 54/60
Paul Oswalt 52/60

PCP over 12fpe

Mike Loar 31/60

Recoiling 12fpe

Ken Hughes 46/60
Gabe Sallusti 45/ 60
Rob Seiden 45/60 (with a 6 fpe R7)

Recoiling over 12fpe

Rudy Rooks 18/60

I liked it a lot. Can't wait till next month. Maybe I'll get a group picture then lol. Thanks to all who came out.

Paul

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

[linked image]

So, I'm airgun po.......e

This message has been edited by libertyman777 on Jun 27, 2017 9:28 PM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.