Return to Index  

A Visual Memory of Past National Matches (Ennice)...

July 9 2017 at 11:27 AM

Bob D.  (Login MB-BOB)
YF

Those of you who attended the 2015 Nationals in Ennice remember the horrid conditions on Day 1 of the Rifle match... Cold temps, relentless rain, heavy winds, low hanging clouds (not fog) at 3000 ft elevation in the pretty Blue Ridge mountains. Here's a picture of Red Course Lane 10, which -- at the top of the hill -- posed some unique challenges.

I was squadded with Phil Eakley and youngster Ben Smith. By the time we arrived at this 2-3 lane section of the course, our score cards had already melted into paper pulp, eventually replaced by new paper inside a zip-lock bag. The low hanging clouds were wafting over these lanes, drifting in and out of play. We were alternating shooting order (among we three Hunter Division shooters), and as luck would have it, I shot R10 first.

[linked image]

As shown on the left (not me but another shooter to illustrate), this was just about as clear a view as anyone had of this lane. But not when we shot that lane. Through my scope, I could barely find the far target, even though the clouds were rolling over the ridge and I could not see the KZ on the long shot... it was just a 50+ yd silhouette in the haze, as bad as the view on the right (a little better through the scope). Count XX-00 for me. Then the clouds really rolled in, to obscure not only the far target, but put the near target in and out of view!

Neither Ben nor Phil could see anything 5 yards past the first target. Nothing at all. Phil resigned himself to merely trying to hear -- rather than see -- his shots, taken from memory. He took it in good humor, laughing it off, hoping for luck when none was on offer. Such were the conditions that unforgettable day in Ennice!

I'm so delighted to write that the weather the next day (by contrast) was gorgeous.

What are your visual memories of Ennice? Does anyone have a photo of Leo's poncho blowing over his head? LOL
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Jul 13, 2017 11:48 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.