Return to Index  

Halftime Report

August 7 2017 at 3:22 PM
JimC  (Login 22Jim)
YF

Response to Let's have a discussion about AAFTA Divisions/Classes!

OK a halftime report. This has started out to be an excellent discussion and lets keep it on track.

Some very clear signals are being sent
1) Don't mess with Open class, we love it as is, hands off (thank you Paul and others!)
2) If you have issues in Hunter Class fix it in Hunter class
3) Hunter Class is not a Novice class quit treating it like one
4) Many Hunter class shooters like Hunter just the way it is
5) There seems to be support for a freestyle class

This is starting to evolve into a discussion on two issues (divisions/classes and new shooters) and I don't want to be discussing two separate, yet equally important topics here. Hector, Chip and Will made posts which I think are excellent and need further discussion. I am going to start new thread on attracting and keeping new shooters shortly. Let's keep this thread focused on the Hunter/Freestyle/Open topic.

The reason I started this thread was because we have a movement afoot to start a new AAFTA division, Unlimited/Freestyle, which has been pioneered by Scott Hull. There has been enough interest in the class to warrant an AAFTA sanctioned trial period. My question was do we really need a new division or would a simple change to an existing division eliminate the need for one or should we just ignore the topic and keep the status quo.

Here are my feelings. One of the most critical components of successful field target shooting is range finding The only division that is not allowed to use equipment that will accurately range find out to 55 yards is the Hunter division. I have never understood why this is the case, other than it was an arbitrary number thought to be appropriate for a beginners class when the Division was first created. As Leo points out there has been a vocal and growing movement to modify the Hunter rules to address this issue. Why the experiment with a Freestyle Class, I guess because the BOG feels the Hunter class is fine as it is and has given us the indication that no change is necessary.

So what I would like to discuss from here is should we create a new division or should we modify hunter class. I would really like to get some feedback from the Freestyle shooters, particularly if adding higher power scopes or laser rage finders would keep them in Hunter class, or is there something else that is attracting you.

Let's keep going.

Jim in Sacramento

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.