Return to Index  

Ray has a valid point but I believe we need to

August 8 2017 at 8:24 AM

Paul Porch  (Login paulporch)
YF12

Response to First Year Shooter with an Opinion

look at something that is blaring us in the face!

What would the sport be is we did not have a hunter class? I doubt we would have a US field target organization at all! The hunter class is the largest in the sport and a vital part of US based field target.

Novice entry class..? Could be, but as Ray pointed out, hunter class is populated with some of the best equipment, and I say, shooters in the country. So, a good place for the novice to start and learn from the “big guys”.

I do believe we need to stop the statements seen on this forum of the hunter class aspiring to reach the elite open and WFTF classes!

There are some hunter class shooters that are certainly capable of shooting side by side with some of the best open and WFTF shooters. They just cannot physically get on a bum bag for medical reasons and the like. So, would this be a reason to restrict the class from competing at a national’s level?
Of course not. That is the reason I disagree on open classes only at a national.

If we were a European based organization, then their rules are finite and all would shoot the same class. So, no issue then.

Being one of the “elite” class shooters I can tell you I and certainly not elite! LOL

I am a fairly good shooter but definitely not among any elite shooters… I am fortunate enough to be able to get into the pretzel position, and there, be steadier than with bi pod and bucket. As a bonus, I get to use high mag scopes and click elevations…. Great for a guy at 65 and just starting a scant 2 years ago.

The hunter class has an advantage for the beginning shooter, as they can start with lower priced equipment and have plenty of advisers to shoot with. They can decide to go up in equipment and shoot whatever position they want Hunter or open. So again, hunter class is vital.

I still think that the hunter class, should be the deciding vote on what they want to do, to further their interest in competing in the sport. Ron mentioned going less in aids and enhancements to bring it back to a simpler time. Others want to go into the future more with high power mag and such. I would love to see the BOG allow the hunter class throughout AAFTA, to decide on which way to go or stay as is.

But please do something!

We spend an inordinate amount of time reading and commenting on the same old story with hunter class. I, for one, am looking forward to the day it is settled.

Remember I, an open shooter, believe that the hunter class is the most vital class we have! (There I said it out loud)! I started there and I would believe that almost all of you did too…Except maybe those elite supernatural shooters we have in all classes…. LOL

Thanks Ray for your comments, and I’ll see you at one of our club matches…..

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Best Said - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 8, 2017, 11:05 AM
  •  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.