Return to Index  

Great Stuff Hector

August 10 2017 at 2:06 AM
JimC  (Login 22Jim)
YF

Response to Most of the Minutemen League Clubs are already implementing an

I have been shooting action pistol (IDPA and some IPSC) for close to 20 years, not so much lately since bitten by the FT bug. I have often envisioned Field Target getting enough shooters to justify the cost and effort associated with adding multiple layers of classes to a division structure. I hope we are gaining enough momentum that it will happen in the not to distant future.

If nothing else I would like to start with perhaps two classes in our Field Target structure. Here's how it would work. Lets call the two classes Marksman and Expert. Every division would have these two classes. Everyone would start as a marksman. There would be specific criteria defining how you would move from the Marksman to the Expert class. Perhaps as an example 3 matches in one season shooting a raw score of 80% or better would move you from Marksman to Expert, or perhaps a top finish in your class at a GP event. What happens is the better, more experienced shooters will move up the ladder and compete against people at a similar skill level. Ultimately it gives more shooters a chance to compete against similarly skilled shooters and win some accolades. As you mentioned it adds layers to the prizes and complexity to the scoring, but nothing that is overwhelming. What is critical is that you have enough shooters to provide real competition through out the various classes.

To give you and idea of where this can go, IDPA used to have 4 divisions, Within each division they had 6 classes, Novice, Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master and Grand Master. At every match they would score everyone by division and class and announce the top three shooters in each class at the end of the match. It presented an opportunity to recognize many more shooters and gave every one an incentive to keep moving up the ladder. A little recognition goes a long way in keeping people excited and engaged.

I'm hoping our ranks continue to swell and someday soon we can begin to recognize skill levels as part of the structure. This would certainly address the issue of a beginners division.

Jim in Sacramento

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.