Return to Index  

My Lessons Learned

August 12 2017 at 9:12 PM
Raymond Hawkins  (Select Login rhawk1)
YF12

I shot my first open class match today which was held near Raleigh NC. My eyes were opened to a few things I didn’t understand about my optics and wanted to share some lessons learned. The information I’m about to share is intended for the beginning shooter or anyone making the swing to other classes where ranging and clicking is within the rules.

To start I was having a really hard time finding many of the targets. It seemed like it was taking forever. In some cases I gave out holding my rifle up while looking through my scope. My fellow shooting competitor saw my struggles and suggested I turn the power setting on my scope to a much lower setting. Doing this completely opened up my field of view making it easier to get into position and quickly locate and range my targets. This technic will defiantly serve me in several ways in the future and hopefully you or someone you know may find this helpful.

For example after I started doing this I noticed my setup and range time began to decrease, the stress and fatigue from not being able to locate a target in a timely manner was reduced significantly. However…. My misses increased.

Why, because my scope data was based on the scopes highest magnification and I had started ranging at the lower magnification. This makes a huge difference to the number of clicks required to hit the target. Before long I had lost my trust for the data I had worked so hard on. I soon reverted back to holding off based on my prior misses. Somehow, after locating my targets on the lower power then ranging at the higher power as it was intended. Those targets starting falling and for a short time I felt like a shooter.

So the light has come on for me and hopefully what I learned today will be of value to another. Then again I may be the only one in the world that didn’t know this.

Anyway, I had a great time, learned a lot by shooting with or in close proxcimadey to many of the best shooters in the country. If all this wasn’t enough I ate two hot dogs and turned in my personal best score. No one congratulated me because my best was only good for last place. I don’t know what's wrong with me but I feel I like the big winner today.

Adding these positive changes my routine is going to make me faster on the range and hopefully a better shooter too. Give it a try.

Raymond Hawkins

Respond to this message   
Responses

• Just keep on, keeping on - FireMarshal on Aug 13, 2017, 1:26 AM
    • Low Score and Great People - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 13, 2017, 11:04 PM

• It was a pleasure shooting with you Ray - Will Piatt on Aug 13, 2017, 6:20 AM
  •  
  • Re: My Lessons Learned - Scott Allen on Aug 13, 2017, 7:53 AM
  •  
  • Ray, you did one of those things that make you a better shooter in time. You - Paul Porch on Aug 13, 2017, 8:11 AM
  •  
  • Ray, I fought "finding the target" too until I started lowering the scope power - Wayne Burns on Aug 13, 2017, 11:09 AM
    • Repeatable Routine is So Important - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 13, 2017, 11:39 PM

• I like these levers on my scopes: - Terry E on Aug 13, 2017, 11:08 PM
    • Very Nice - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 13, 2017, 11:49 PM

• Paul Porch Will Piatte and Scott Allen - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 14, 2017, 12:28 AM
    • Ray, we're Privileged to have YOU! Someone who is humble and has the desire - Paul Porch on Aug 14, 2017, 6:59 AM
      • email Sent - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 14, 2017, 9:03 AM

• Ray, ellaborating a little on the very important point - Hector Medina on Aug 15, 2017, 11:24 AM
    • Such A Timely Tip - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 15, 2017, 12:16 PM
      • Something that helped me. - K on Aug 15, 2017, 8:20 PM
        • +1 - Paul Porch on Aug 16, 2017, 7:07 AM
        • I Like It - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 17, 2017, 4:02 AM

• Thanks For Your Help - Raymond Hawkins on Aug 17, 2017, 5:10 AM
  •  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.