Return to Index  

By all means, Boomer, test and test and test even more!

September 11 2017 at 11:16 AM

Hector Medina  (Login HectorMedina)
YF

Response to Thanks Hector. That does make perfect sense the way you say it.

Having fun is the main idea here.

I've made a few Steyr barrels in the last 13 years. I've seen barrels that perform admirably in one Steyr perform terribly in another. I've tested (at a somewhat considerable cost) a lot of rifling designs and twists, and while some have definite applications for "special needs" the "common" land and groove 1 in 16" twist seems to be pretty tolerant of the many different pellet styles and purposes available.

For the last two years I have been working on a barrel specific for FT at sub-12 ft-lbs and I am barely now starting to get consistent and repeatable results across different platforms. Perhaps in a year or two I will have something that works in every situation.

Through all this work, more and more I see barrels as a whole sub-system that needs to work in harmony with the rest of the other sub-systems.

[linked image]

Barrels can be simple or sophisticated, but even the simplest barrel is quite complicated when you consider how "slender" and "whippy" our barrels are in relation to others in the shooting world, and in proportion of the energies we put through them and into them (not necessarily one and the same).

Top it up with the commonly found batch to batch variation in pellets, and you have a pretty complicated situation.

Unraveling it is what makes it fun, though sometimes frustrating.

Consider, if you haven't already, to include in your tests the following:

Try different pellet lengths for each barrel length
Try different pellet weights
Try different lubes
Try different barrel lengths with and without the intermediate bridge pressure bedding point in the Steyr
Try different orientations of the barrel (indexing)
Try different locations for weights (harmonics tuning)

IMHO, this is the right order for the tests, as you start discarding possibilities that hold little potential from the start and start narrowing down your research universe.

Yes, it can be a long, fruitful and enjoyable winter (each black dot is a little under ½" in OD).

[linked image]

Keep well and shoot straight!

HM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.