Return to Index  

Deep breaths... Deep breaths...

September 28 2017 at 9:44 AM

Bob D.  (Login MB-BOB)
YF

Response to Hector Medina or anyone who really knows

You've already asked this question in your thread below. If no one other than Hector has chimed in yet, it might be because the distinction over 40 clicks this way or that matters only to a few people.

If you are shooting your 15fpe Prosport in Open Class, then I suppose splitting hairs over this might make a difference. Although I know several Open Class shooters of national repute who don't care. They only care that at a given magnification and distance, X number of clicks brings them to zero. Whether X = 26, 27, 29, or 32 clicks doesn't matter. It's about what works as a practical solution. In contrast, trying to fit your aiming into a rigid box of mildot standards (instead) can lead to problems.

If you are shooting your 15fpe Prosport in Hunter Class, then I will suggest it doesn't matter in the least. Consider your reticle as a visual representation of "Aiming Points." Just aiming points, period. The exact measurements between mildots or christmas tree lines doesn't matter at all. Through practice, practice, and more practice, you will develop a hold over chart for distance at this aiming point, another holdover (aiming) point for the next distance, etc. Knowing the exact number of clicks between mildots, or whether your scope is a "true" mildot or milradian yadda yadda, is not remotely important.

I have personally counselled several shooters to free themselves from the angst over mildot science. Necessary for 1-1/2 mile shots on military targets that shoot back. But not at 55 yds on Killer squirrels. Once they begin to consider their reticle as an "aiming point" grid only, they seem to enjoy the game much more.

There's something profound in that old KISS adage, "Keep It Simple, ......."

[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Sep 28, 2017 9:55 AM

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.