I think

September 28 2017 at 11:57 AM
Mark  (Login TwiceHorn)
YF12

Response to Lol, good one. NT

What Hector is driving at is finding the source and degree of point of impact shift from your scope rather than advocating knowledge of the precise mathematics of your scope clicks and mildots for any other purpose.

On the 40 click thing, he suggests figuring out how much your crosshair actually moves over 40 clicks and dividing that distance by 40 to determine whether your clicks really are 1/4MOA or 1/8MOA or otherwise. Do this at 40 degrees and again at 80 and you have an idea what kind of contribution temperature makes to your POI shift, if you are clicking as in WFTF or Open.

Same basic idea with the mildots for Hunter. Figure out what they actually span or subtend.

As Bob notes, none of this is necessary or even particularly helpful to generate a good holdover chart. Actually shooting the distance and noting the drop, measured by whatever your dots or hashes or other stadia gives you is the way to go, if you have the distances to shoot. Same for bracketing to range targets. Doing it at different ambient temperatures would seem to be the key to figuring out temperature-dependent POI shifts. But, without doing what Hector suggests, you won't know what your scope's contribution to the shift is.

Or I could be completely wrong. That's never happened before.

Respond to this message   
Responses

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.