BKL MOUNTS - SECOND TO NONE.

A 1720T make-over

February 1 2018 at 4:53 PM
Ron Robinson  (Login compressive)
YC

I’ve always been hugely impressed with the performance of my 1720T; not so the PLASTIC furniture. Had to remove the finger grooves on the aftermarket walnut grips to make them feel good in my hands (then refinish them).

Of course the walnut grips only made the plastic fore-end stick out like a sore thumb even more, so I fantasized long and hard about a Mannlicher-style walnut fore-end. Unfortunately I lack the tools and ability for inletting.

I finally struck a deal with good buddy Craig Evans to inlet a walnut blank for a 1720T, and was off to the races (albeit like a tortoise, mind you). The idea was to add as much weight forward as possible for the extra stability afforded off a bipod for pistol field target shooting. PFT rules limit the thickness of pistol fore-ends to 3” below the center-line of the bore, so that part of the equation was decided for me.

Also being absolutely nutty about Schnabel fore-ends, that was a given. However the dip behind a Schnabel also provides a perfect, and perfectly-positioned, concavity for positioning of the bipod (yoke).

The Schnabel/Mannlicher fore-end project proved no small undertaking, but she’s finally finished. Have to admit it looks a bit thick and front-heavy, but thick and heavy were two of the reasons for the project in the first place. Time will tell whether some of that functional thickness and heaviness eventually succumb to the third goal of the project; that being improved aesthetics. In other words, I can always go back and reduce the walnut fore-end to more graceful proportions if need be.

And walnut being walnut, of course the grips and fore-end don’t even come close to matching. But I have other walnut grips.

The next order of business is testing the functionality of the made-over 1720T. I already know it works much better for offhand shots than my much-storied, sixties-vintage Crosman 187.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Responses

BKL MOUNTS - SECOND TO NONE.

On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.