<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

$5 CUSTOM HAWKE scope SF Big Wheel - PICS -

October 27 2009 at 4:07 PM

(Login AngliaUSA)
YF

Ok so a few have noticed my rather unusual side wheel on my Hawke Sidewinder scope
And yes it is different!

[linked image]

These are great FT scopes IMOP and I got lucky with mine as it has exceptional glass however because of the illuminated reticle and the on/off being part of the range finding side knob :having a custom wheel made for it is and expensive option as in the $150-$200 range depending on material used..if fact Ive yet to see one on a sidewinder..

So for those of you with a Hawke side focus scope here is the recipe for a $5 extra large sidewheel.

Lowes, Home Depot all carry these for between $4 and $5 I paid $4.85 at Lowes for this one and yes its a toilet base flange made out of very tough ABS black plastic which is strong and light and very easy to drill and mill if you want or have the tools to.

[linked image]

Just hack saw off the lower portion of the flange leaving about 1/2 of ABS.

[linked image]

And then sand the heck out of all visible surfaces.

[linked image]
[linked image]

The beauty and simplicity of this designs is that it incorporates your existing Hawke 100mm big wheel and you basically slip it over the top of it .

To secure the new wheel to the old I chose to install 4 small Allen key / hex key grub screws Which are available at most hardware stores for about .20c each

Simply drill and tap 4 equally spaced holes in the inner ring and then install the grub screws.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Youll find that youll need to wrap the exterior edge of you old big wheel with some black electrical tape or a rubber band to get a really tight fit but this also serves and a protective cushion between the grub screw contact point and your old wheel so as not to mar it when you tighten those screws down.

[linked image]

NB. Dont over tighten the grub screws as you are dealing with threaded ABS not metal
Over tightening will jut result in treaded holes, which you need to retap.

[linked image]

Once you are confident that everything fits snugly (dry fit it to the scope wheel) take it off and give it a nice coat of Rustoleum Plastic paint NB. Hundreds of colors are available for $4 a can I already had a can of Satin Black , which matches the scope, finish perfectly.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Anway thats it once its dry fit it to your existing wheel if will fit and work perfectly maybe not the pettiest big wheel Ive seen but is VERY cheap and functional.

Total cost in materials for mine about $6 and about an hour of labor to buy, sand, drill, tap and paint.

Hell nobody of the FT course at CASA laughed at mine .. at least not to my face wink.gif

As a final note 1/2 white masking tape fits the outer edge of the wheel nicely to mark your ranges. I also plan on using my drill press and removing some of the ABS adding some nice big holes and making it look a little less like a toilet flange and more like a custom big wheel !

Continued safe shooting.
James
http://whiscombe.net/

[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Firemarshal
(Login FireMarshal)
YC

Alright!!!

October 27 2009, 4:37 PM 

James,

American ingenuity at work. Great job.

Pat

Respond to this message   

(Login AngliaUSA)
YF

Actually I'm British ! But please don't hold that against me ...

October 27 2009, 5:04 PM 

I do live here now and love all that is the USA ....

Respond to this message   

HookEm
(Login HookEm)
YF

That's awesome!... Rack'im (off to the 'sticky' you go!) - /nt

October 27 2009, 5:10 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login S410happy)
YC

James.. very good! I was thinking along those lines, but hadn't

October 27 2009, 5:34 PM 

thought of a toilet flange! very cleaver! It should be fairly light weight too. Drilling more holes would make it lighter still.

Wacky Wayne, MD. Ashland Air Rifle Range

Respond to this message   
Tony
(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Excellent Idea James!!! nt

October 27 2009, 6:41 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login CO2Fan)
YF

Wonderful Idea. You may have saved me a bundle.

October 27 2009, 7:12 PM 

Respond to this message   

Thumper
(Login Pigzpellet)
YF

Come on James it's a Whizzer...You need the Mercedes hub cap in the middle ! LOL

October 27 2009, 7:58 PM 

nt

"Thumper2"

Respond to this message   

(Login AngliaUSA)
YF

Being British nothing less than a Bentley hubcap will do !

October 27 2009, 8:27 PM 

or perhaps a Rolls Royce !!

The real reason I came up with it was 'need'

I had my first match coming up and nobody would make me a wheel for less than $150 and I had to send the scope for a custom fit ...

+ it would take several weeks .....etc etc etc

Hence 'make my own'

I'd love a nice one in polished aluminum, or perhaps Stainless Steel ... maybe soon ! This ones working fine for now !

cheers
James

Respond to this message   

(Login Pigzpellet)
YF

Well Done !

October 27 2009, 10:31 PM 

bigger is better imo .

"Thumper2"

Respond to this message   

(Login q1q)
YOFT

Saved in the archives, I tell ya them brits are sharp cookies LOL nt

October 28 2009, 6:52 PM 

nt

Steve
Yellow Forums Administrator
http://www.yellowforum.com

Respond to this message   

Wade
(Login airguner)
YF

scratching my head

October 28 2009, 8:44 PM 

Your putting a 6$ toilet flange on a Whiscombe! There is something wrong with that picture lol!

May there always be work for your hands to do;
May your purse always hold a coin or two;
May the sun always shine on your windowpane;
May a rainbow be certain to follow each rain;
May the hand of a friend always be near you;
May God fill your heart with gladness to cheer you.

Respond to this message   

(Login Trojan1994)
YF

Could be worse, at least he put a new one on his Whizzer!!! :-) nt

October 28 2009, 9:19 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login AngliaUSA)
YF

Whiscombes are an appreciating asset

October 28 2009, 10:43 PM 

big scope side wheels are not
it's just a matter of perspective ... that's all.
I'll get a custom made fancy big side wheel soon.... maybe wink.gif

Respond to this message   

(Login LPIRRONE)
YF

actually James, we were all snickering behind your back

October 30 2009, 9:47 AM 

saying things like ."there goes that guy who puts toilet parts on his gun. can't wait to see what he does with a float".

then you started shooting.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - $5 CUSTOM HAWKE scope SF Big Wheel - PICS -
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.