<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Importance of Hydration.

July 20 2010 at 11:11 AM

(Login jamdon)
YC

I just thought I would share my experience from Sunday July 18th:

This past Sunday we had our monthly FT match. The temperature was in the mid 90s. I left home weighting 186.5lbs (my normal weight). For FT I wear a T shirt, a shooting sweater and a light weight Creedmoor jacket. We shoot from a shaded firing line. During the match I had three 16oz bottles of water & two 16oz servings of iced tea. I felt great the entire match....but I did notice that my pants were sagging a bit towards the end of the match. Whenever I got up to change lanes, I had to pull them up to my waist.

When I got home I decided to weight again because I was feeling real "light". To my amazement the scale came in at 179.8lbs. I had lost 6.7lbs in approximately 6 hours. I was in awe. After downing a few beers, water and dinner my weight by bedtime was back to just over 186lbs.

I shudder to think of what would or could have happened had I not drank as much as I did at the match. Here I was thinking that I was drinking an adequate amount of liquids and I wasn't. -d

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login raydj)
YF

Re: Importance of Hydration.

July 20 2010, 11:46 AM 

Let me just add - AMEN! I spent 30 years in the desert southwest and I did learn one thing. If you wait until you're thirsty, then you've got a lot of catching up to do. You just have to keep the hydration up or you can pay a nasty price. There are all sorts of bad things dehydration will worsen - including the likelihood of kidney stones - where you don't want to go.

Respond to this message   

(Login FPoole)
YF

Kidney stones

July 21 2010, 9:25 AM 

I just passed one Monday of last week. I'm an old pro with a couple dozen episodes and normally just pop a Lortab and continue working, but this one hurt so bad and instantly. I keep the pain killers in my key fob and take one as soon as I feel the symptoms. Took 2 to no effect and finally drove to the ER and got a shot of Morphine. It barely numbed things and after 30 min. the pain was back even worse. I began to climb the walls and after 15 min. the pain suddenly left. I was certainly a happy boy. I'm a roofer in central Florida and I just can't drink water fast enough to keep up with the water going out.

Respond to this message   

(Login LARRYPIRRONE1)
YF

I see some guys not paying enough attention to hydration

July 20 2010, 12:52 PM 

and also fuel. the base of blood is water. as you de-hydrate your blood volumn drops. this imepeds the bloods ability to transport oxygen. the body responds by increasing your heart rate. we all know that is not good for
accurate shooting. the other side is blood sugar. if you don't snack during a long match your blood sugar drops. you may get shakey. i carry a couple bottles of the dilute gatorade and a banana that i eat about half way through the match. now that it is really hot i will probably drink even more.

Respond to this message   
Rich Woods
(Login richwoods)
YF

equally as important

July 20 2010, 1:30 PM 

to stay hydrated in winter months...for same reason mentioned...blood circulation...

Respond to this message   

(Login LARRYPIRRONE1)
YF

especialy for us old farts, Rich. nt

July 23 2010, 12:53 PM 

Respond to this message   

(Login candrasko)
YC

Not mentioned

July 21 2010, 1:09 PM 

Even mild dehydration can impede our mental abilities as well as physical symptoms. Your ability to keep focused and make decisions suffers even with mild dehydration. This only gets worse the more dehydrated we get. A rule of thumb that I read a few years ago says that in hot weather or during physical exercise one should drink 8 oz of water ever 15-20 minutes. That seems like alot but we lose a huge amount of water through sweat on hot days or during exertion.

Also, refrain from drinking sports drinks only. An equal mixture of water and a sports drink like Gatorade will keep you hydrated much better that Gatorade alone. Also it is much easier on your kidneys. As someone pointed out earlier, don't wait until you are thirst to drink. By then you are on your way to being dehydrated.

My 2 cents
Chuck

Respond to this message   

(Select Login -bp)
YF

my first FT match made me more aware of hydration

July 22 2010, 12:12 PM 

i first shot a DIFTA match in june and took 3 liters along for about 4 hours (in the shade, but over 90 degrees F) and something kept telling me to keep swigging even though i was not acutely thirsty.

i'm taking a diuretic (for swelling in the legs) so i normally stop frequently to go behind a tree.

i never once went behind a tree during the whole match. it was all sweated out of me.

i think i was about one liter short when i got back to the car.

in the july match, i took 4 liters.

thanks for bringing this up

-bp

Respond to this message   
Rich Woods
(Login richwoods)
YF

Funny..

July 22 2010, 5:05 PM 

My first FT was at LD's Temecula Challenge two years ago...temps upwards 95-100 F..had plenty of water,so no issue there...

My concern was I was shooting my 850 CO2 .177 with a 9 OZ PB tank...when I checked the tank with my minitemp gun,tank temp was 104 F..I wuz concerned about blowing a burst disc...so i used a towel to 'shade' the tank,and temp dropped to 96 F....moral of this story is,check yer gun for 'heat exhaustion'...lol

Respond to this message   

(Select Login -bp)
YF

very shady at DIFTA

July 23 2010, 12:40 PM 

joe mcdaniel must have planted lots of trees as a young lad, because the entire course at DIFTA is well shaded. even so, it seems it's always in the nineties when i'm there, and the humidity is usually just short of precipitation. DC area weather is a lot like guatemala, except that fewer banana trees grow here

-bp

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Importance of Hydration.
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.