<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Attention DIFTA players! Wet gun.........

September 17 2011 at 5:11 PM
Knobs  (Login Knobs)
YC

......I just got home. After 2 1/2 hours post match I opened my gun case and there was condensate all over the gun.

The gun didn't get that wet today, but there must have been more humidity than i thought.

If you haven't opened and dried your gun yet, please take the time to do so ASAP..

K

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Select Login -bp)
YF

indeed! gun cases are no place for guns to be stored...

September 17 2011, 9:24 PM 

and even worse when the gun or case is wet, damp, etc.

i'm airing out my cases and the guns, which are about to get a good massage and rubdown

i don't think i'll oil the scope, though

-bp (darth vader)

Respond to this message   

(Login gregc107)
YFOT

Gun cases arent a bad place to keep a gun, it's just that moisture...

September 18 2011, 6:16 AM 

shouldn't be kept in there as well. I've shot quite a few times in the rain, and I always wipe the rifle down before casing it. Once back home I open the case and leave it that way for a couple of days to let anything liquid dry up.

It is what it is, because it is!!!

Respond to this message   

(Login Knobs)
YC

A better description

September 18 2011, 7:27 AM 

In this case, there just wasn't much moisture visible in the case. I ran my hand over the foam periodically during the match to check it and kept the case closed during the rain.

It was in the mid 60's during the match and the gun was cold to the touch. On the way home I ran the heater in the car. I think the case warmed up and what moisture was in there became vapor and then condensed on the cold surfaces of the gun.

The gun was dripping wet everywhere there was metal including the scope. I should have taken a picture. It was unbelievable.

Anyway, it's a lesson learned. I never would have guessed that kind of difference was possible.

K

Respond to this message   

(Select Login -bp)
YF

i read an article about this in an old airgun magazine

September 18 2011, 1:57 PM 

where the guys flew in from minnesota or similar to (i think) miami, and when they opened their cases, the foam was squishy-wet. enormous changes in temp/humidity combined with the variations in air pressure enroute.

a dry gun in a dry case in a dry room would be fine. change any one of the three variables and you could have trouble.

y'all stay well,

-bp

Respond to this message   

(Login gregc107)
YFOT

Oooh I can believe that one. That is close to setting a cold bottle of liquid out in...

September 19 2011, 12:03 PM 

a room, and letting it come up to room temp. The bottle will sweat moisture. Do u detach ur action from the wood after a watch if it was damp out for a day or so (providing u shoot with wood)?

Respond to this message   

(Login Knobs)
YC

I sure did........

September 19 2011, 1:20 PM 

....I pulled the whole gun apart and soaked everything in WD40 for a day. I used a section of PVC pipe and dropped the whole action into it, poured in a gallon of WD. Dried everything, soaked the trigger group in Naptha to clear out any crud and re-greased. Then relubed and reassembled. The stock sat indoors for a day.

It sounds like overkill, but you should have seen what I pulled out of the case.

K

Respond to this message   

(Login gregc107)
YFOT

I think I can see where all of that might need happen...

September 19 2011, 3:31 PM 

When u have a gun u like its not in the plans to just let it rust up imo.

Respond to this message   

(Login DonC)
YF

I don't shoot in the rain

September 18 2011, 11:13 AM 

anymore. I did it once with a Daystate CR94. I got back to the motel room and used a hair dryer on everything later in the day. I could not dry out the carbon trigger parts however and the trigger had to be replaced due to rust.

Respond to this message   

(Login Knobs)
YC

I hear ya

September 18 2011, 2:20 PM 

I shot in the rain in Italy. It was the first time. I had no problem with leaving the gun in the guncase until i got home.

This time I was really surprised!

K

Respond to this message   

(Login gregc107)
YFOT

Don I think one fairly safe way is to wrap the gun in plastic wrap...

September 20 2011, 4:11 AM 

I've heard that can work very well to keep out water from unwanted places. When I first got started one of the things I was told was that a metal based rifle might be better served that one that is wood stocked, so I leaned in that direction when I was making a choice.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Attention DIFTA players! Wet gun.........
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.