<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

A bit of AAFTA trivia...

April 9 2012 at 1:51 PM

HookEm  (Login HookEm)
YF

Regarding "Targets" (page 27 of the Handbook):
http://www.aafta.org/Assets/handbook/2012/AAFTA_handbook%202012.pdf

Did you know that for AAFTA matches:
1) Individual target difficulty should not be more than 60 Troyer? ==> See: "3. Hit zone and distance"
2) Average difficuty for all targets should not be more than 40 Troyer? ==> "4. Average Target Difficulty"

BTW, here's a handy "Troyer Difficulty" chart:
http://sites.google.com/site/centraltexasairgunclub/information/troyer-rating-system

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Charles Garvey
(Login garsrus)
YC

Coulda , wooda, shoulda...

April 9 2012, 5:06 PM 

If you are new to this sport just remember...Match directors try and mostly do follow all those rules...Mostly...So be prepared to work around these things through a match...

Respond to this message   

HookEm
(Login HookEm)
YF

Actually, those are AAFTA rules for AAFTA matches...

April 9 2012, 6:29 PM 

Like Regional & National matches... So, those rules are very clear & specific.
HookEm

Respond to this message   

Paul O.
(Login libertyman777)
YF

Course Difficulty

April 11 2012, 11:11 AM 

I currently set up courses that are in the 26-30 TDF range. And I've begun to do so with with no targets having Kill Zones smaller than 3/4".

We're currently seeing two classes becoming predominate, Hunter and WFTF. There are some open class shooters that shoot with us too but right now, these two make up the bulk of monthly matches.

Rarely do I hear any KZ size complaints. Most of the difficulty in my courses is made up in distance. IIRC there were two targets that were what I would consider challenging from a KZ perspective. One was a 3/4" at close to 30 yards another was 1" at 40 or so. I can't remember the distances exactly. We only have 5 sizes of KZ 3/8", 1/2" (both via reducers), 3/4", 1" and 1.5", and most of the time I only use the three larger. But to my knowledge, no one has cleared any of these during an actual match.

I'm fortunate in that I have a lot of varied terrain features to use. Slopes, trees, hills, etc., make up a lot of what I build into course difficulty. You can't really put it into a form or spreadsheet. For example:

I'll set two targets such that the KZ's are visible but not the entire target from one specific spot in the shooter's position, using tree trunks to block one of the targets if that one lateral position is not realized. But I'll open up the width of the lane to encourage that person to make a seating change. Usually, that break in position will equal a break in concentration, even if timers are not involved.

If they are wanting to be better marksmen, then lessons will be learned. And if they don't, then it doesn't matter anyway but it still makes for a fun match because there's not a target out there that doesn't feel doable by most.

But I love setting up courses. I think I like it better than shooting the course.

Anyway, good post subject. A course doesn't have to feel impossible to be challenging.

Paul

Map to the FT Park> http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&q=1150%20Evans%20Bridge%20Road%2C%20Heflin%2C%20AL%2036264

Respond to this message   
ray carter
(Login raydj)
YF

Problems I see with that -

April 12 2012, 10:10 AM 

'should be' rather than 'shall be' and 'approximately 20T to 60T'. Makes it all a bit nebulous.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.