<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Changing stocks 9 weeks before the Nats?

July 23 2012 at 2:50 PM

dan house  (Login dan_house)
YC

Good idea or not?

the situation: My "precision" gun is the one in my sig, Marauder .177 in a Teryx stock (to date, the only red one in existance). the stock is awesome, its rock solid and I ahve it dailed in to get me. But its heavy, and top heavy, meaning it wants to rotate about some center line and tip over. If you dont set it _just so_ on your knee, your fighting it with your trigger hand, which I'll blame for a few missed shots.... Ive been shooting that gun in that format for acouple years now.

I have been building up a lighter stock to use at the Nats, but now I'm wondering if I'd be better tweaking the famaliar but heavy stock instead of adding a new compnent into the mix this close the match

While I have no illusions of a podium finish, I'd like to be as competitive as I can and shoot as well as I can.

Opinions?

dr_subsonic's pneumatic research lab
[linked image]
the Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy
Proud Sponsor of team_subsonic

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login mark600)
YF

You're crackin' me up Dan! I've been messin' with my stock

July 23 2012, 3:14 PM 

for nearly 2 years and still don't have it where I want it! Just this AM I lengthened my lop
1/2 inch. Now thinking of adding a butthook sad.gif BTW, my 400SL is top heavy also. Adding the
Hawke 8.5-25 Tactical did get rid of some of that, plus moved some of the weight rearward.

Good luck my friend!

Head Gopher and Assistant
Match Director Ashland Air Rifle Range
Ashland OR

Regards,

Mark Gravelle

Respond to this message   

dan house
(Login dan_house)
YC

Butt hook?

July 23 2012, 3:30 PM 

you think that helps? oy, one more part to find happy.gif

thanx Mark!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login lhd)
YF

I think a lighter stock will make it MORE top heavy

July 23 2012, 4:55 PM 

It's the scope that needs to be lighter. A wider, heavier forend and buttplate assy will make it seem less top heavy.

This message has been edited by lhd on Jul 23, 2012 4:56 PM

Respond to this message   

dan house
(Login dan_house)
YC

Lighter stock, more torque....

July 23 2012, 5:01 PM 

oh yea, your right. I did pust a smaller scope on, and changed the grip on the Teryx. Both have helped

need some of the stabilizers on the long rods like the target archers have..... long as it doenst touch the ground..... happy.gif

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login lhd)
YF

I would guess out here

July 23 2012, 8:07 PM 

Wind would blow the gun around if I added stuff like that to my gun.

Don't make more changes now .... practice up with what you have.

Respond to this message   

dan house
(Login dan_house)
YC

LD are you saying I need to worry about wind drag from my stock?

July 24 2012, 11:09 AM 

hehe. I put the gun back i the old stock, figured out what I need to do to it (the short comings of it I was trying to correct with the other stock).

After that, I grabbed the gun and sat down in my usual shooting position. the gun felt good and right. Need to raise an ich or so, but thats easy

Thanx guys! I'll be shooting better cuz of this input from y'all

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login lhd)
YF

Yes,

July 24 2012, 1:10 PM 

Were you to have your bipod extended, and/or add an archery type stabilizer, your gun would for sure move in a crosswind, at least at places like my ranch, and particularly on offhand shots. A gun with a huge cross-section like that is more susceptible to wind ... I noticed this when I began to pare mine down to shave weight, as it got less sensitive to wind.

Respond to this message   

dan house
(Login dan_house)
YC

oh oh gotcha. Your talking about "sail area"

July 24 2012, 1:20 PM 

more cross section means more surface area to catch the wind....

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

(Login HectorMedina)
YF

Dan; it is not a question of overall weight

July 24 2012, 3:20 PM 

but of balance.

If I am understanding correctly, your "Sig Marauder" is the one that appears in your signature:

[linked image]

¿right?

If this is so, then you need to think of how to move the center of gravity substantially below where it is now.

Try this FIRST:

Use some weights at the END of your bipod. Perhaps a couple of lbs. on each leg will do. This is ONLY a test, so just tape those weights there and tape the bipod fixed, so that the bipod will not move nor allow the rifle to move.

I assume that the point where you balance your knee is the wooden "forearm" of the rifle as pictured.

You can also tape a 3/8" aluminum bar to the BOTTOM of your buttplate jutting STRAIGHT OUT to the rear. 8" protrusion will be enough for this test.

The rifle should now be at least neutral heavy, not top-heavy. And the location of the weights in front of the knee support will make it nose heavy as well. So the "butt-hook" will help your body weight receive that rotational force and stabilize the rifle in its position.

ONCE you find the BALANCE you need, then you can think of trimming the current stock off useless weight being careful to keep the balance of the whole rig as you want it.

You can also play weighing the hollow of your pistol grip to balance the nose heaviness.

HTH

Un Abrazo!

H�ctor

Respond to this message   

dan house
(Login dan_house)
YC

Thanx Hector!

July 24 2012, 3:33 PM 

Yes, that is my "sig Marauder". Ive changed the pistol grip since the pic was taken from the "sniper grip" to more "SAW like" MagPul grip. the shelf on the old grip works great off' the 'pod or a bag, but I beleive it affects my grip (and may be factor in the rotation I feel in that hand)  while in the harness.

All great suggestions that I will try tonight. Ill report back,,,,,,

Tahxn again!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Changing stocks 9 weeks before the Nats?
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory Plotter by Ray Carter On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer    MILDOTS    BAR/PSI conversion
D I S C L A I M E R

This Forum's, moderators and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules.    1-No Flaming or name calling.No Personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language or insults and no trolling.     2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is a cause for post deletion and/or banning.    3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban.    4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com    - Keep the forum Civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner.