<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Upgrading the Remington Field Targets with a spring

October 29 2014 at 11:13 PM

Brad Troyer  (Login bradtroyer)
YC

I was surprised to find that the Remington field targets didn't use a spring to apply pressure to the face to keep it engaged and aide in making the target face fall when hit. The Remington targets are basically a copy of the Gamo/Knockover targets that use a spring. So I decided to add a spring to one of my targets to see how it works with the spring and withoug the retaining clip at the base of the paddle arm.

I found a torsion spring on the McMaster-Carr website. It is a 0.059" wire diameter with a max rod diameter of 0.335" so it would easily slip over the 0.29" pivot bolt. Here is a link to the spring I bought:

http://www.mcmaster.com/#9271k609/=udblpp

[linked image]

The first thing to do is remove the pivot bolt using 13mm and 14mm wrenches.

Next, cut a slot on the right side of the base front using a hacksaw. The slot should be about 1/8" deep. Make sure to cut the slot far enough left of the right side to clear the pivot ear of the target face.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Use a small round or triangle file to smooth and widen the slot so that the spring leg can fit into the slot.

[linked image]

[linked image]

Now partially reassemble the target but only push the pivot bolt about halfway through and slide the spring onto the pivot bolt. Make sure to slide it all the way over to the right side of the pivot bolt and slide the pivot bolt through the left side of the target. Make sure to rest the front leg of the spring into the slot on the base. Do bother installing the nut just yet.

[linked image]

Bend the front leg of the spring down into the slot. I held the spring in place using some pliers to apply pressure to the rear of the spring so that it was pressed up against the rear of the pivot bolt. Bend the front leg down as far as you can. Remove the spring. Hold the spring on the spring side of the bend with a pair needle nose pliers and bend the front leg down a bit more so that it will lie flush with the target base face. Note that I also used a file to round and smooth the ends of the spring so they aren't sharp. I also cut off about an inch off of the front leg of the spring after it was bent. I also bent the rear leg of the spring just a little bit about 1/4" from the end so that the end of the spring doesn't scrap the target face.

Now reassemble the sping onto the pivot bolt and reassemble the target.

[linked image]

Now bend the retaining clip at the base of the paddle arm out of the way so that it no longer touches the paddle arms at any point of it's travel.

[linked image]

Now test the target to make sure a face hit won't trip the target. If it does, you can file a very little amount of the front foot of the paddle arm to increase the trip energy. WARNING: do this very sparingly as only a little material removed can make the target not work properly. A little goes a long way.

This upgrade has improved the lockup of the target and it trips more easily so lower power rifles will take it down easily. I also replace the push on nuts with some from Lowes and they work better. I hammered my down tight and then manually moved the paddle arm forward and back until it loosened up a bit.

Brad Troyer,
brad@airguns.net
www.airguns.net

This message has been edited by bradtroyer on Oct 29, 2014 11:16 PM

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

James Fussell
(Login JTFussell)
YF12

Sounds like a great fix for these targets.

October 30 2014, 6:30 AM 

Appreciate you taking the time to share this idea. I have 9 of them and they all worked great with my 20 FPE rifles right out of the box, but I did feel the need for improvement and this is just what the doctor ordered wink.gif

Respond to this message   
BillD
(Login dayjd2)
YF12

Brad, Thanks for the mod info it .......nt

October 30 2014, 7:30 AM 

Respond to this message   
Danny
(Login wx4p)
YF12

Excellent write up Brad, I should have

October 30 2014, 9:18 AM 

procrastinated another couple days...

I used same dimensions for spring but with .045 wire (lower force). Didn't seem like quite enough assist so ended up with two per target. I'll call it redundancy happy.gif Also drilled the reducer bolt for front mounting:

[linked image]

Tweaked and aligned everything as mentioned in previous posts and targets seem to work well.

Amazon is another source for springs, decent price for 10 packs if you're Prime member and get free shipping:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B006UIMG8K/ref=biss_dp_sa1

Danny

This message has been edited by wx4p on Oct 30, 2014 3:32 PM

Respond to this message   
Kevin E.
(Login TXWobble)
YF12

What method?

October 30 2014, 2:07 PM 

Did you just saw off the threaded stud flush with faceplate then drill hole through faceplate for bolt?
[linked image]

Respond to this message   
Danny
(Login wx4p)
YF12

RE: What method

October 30 2014, 3:31 PM 

I drilled from the front of the faceplate with 1/4" bit, roughly aligned with the welded post. When I was mostly thru, I stopped and twisted off the post with channel lock pliers.

Danny

Respond to this message   
Kevin E.
(Login TXWobble)
YF12

Thanks. Saves a step from my scenario

October 30 2014, 4:52 PM 

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
L D
(Login lhd)
AR&P

Great write up Brad!

October 30 2014, 12:49 PM 

Now just move the reducer to the front of the faceplate and you are good to go.

Respond to this message   

Brad Troyer
(Login bradtroyer)
YC

Or weld them on

October 30 2014, 3:54 PM 

that is what I am going to do with mine.

Brad Troyer,
brad@airguns.net
www.airguns.net

Respond to this message   

James Brinkley
(Login AngliaUSA)
YF12

You beat me to it .. LOL... source for cheap springs

October 30 2014, 7:40 PM 

I just did the same modification on my 18 Remingtons !

However I found a MUCH cheaper source for springs ..

My local .99c store has a pack of large plastic spring clamp clothes peg / pins 10 for a dollar and the springs are pretty much perfect if you dismantle them ... they pull part very easily ...

they look pretty much identical to yours ....

thanx for the post and pics .. saved me from doing the same thing !

cheers

JB

Respond to this message   
FireMarshal
(Login FireMarshal)
YC

Re: Upgrading the Remington Field Targets with a spring

November 2 2014, 2:59 PM 

Brad,

Pictures and descriptions are great. Do they need reinforcement around the kill zone? I added wide washers on my Gamos and it has kept them from being damaged. Four solid tacks did the job. The washers are about 3/4" wide with whatever size needed for the KZ.

Hope to see you at minor Hill on Sayurday.

Pat

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.