<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Deep Woods South Carolina Match 3/18/2017

March 19 2017 at 10:44 AM
Jerry   (Login JCTX)
YF12

The semi-annual "Deep Woods" field target match is organized by Mark Wulfekotte, and held on his private wooded acreage about a mile from Promised Land, South Carolina, in the Piedmont region of the state. Mark's property is heavily wooded, and a perfect place to set up a FT course, with lanes radiating out from a central clearing, all lanes going out into dense piney woods.

This was my first match in a long time, having relocated from the Dallas area to the Blue Ridge of North Carolina last spring. After seeing some posts, I decided at the last minute to dust off my equipment, and leave early Saturday to shoot, after Mark messaged an invitation.

Regrettably, I did not take any pictures, apart from the scoreboard - hopefully there will be others.'

I left my home about 6 AM for a two hour drive down the hill on Highway 25. A pleasant route on almost completely rural roads after coming out of Greenville. Conditions were cloudy, with some sprinkles as we ranged - it looked a bit threatening, but the clouds thinned, with moderately cool and overcast skies. It was windy during much of the match, with enough gusts to be a notable factor.

I was very pleased to meet some well known FT shooters, and amazed with the skill of many. Members of the Airgun Atlanta and the Tarheel Airgun Club were there, and it is apparent they all know how nicely Mark sets this event. The sight in range was large and had many ranged targets, and I greatly enjoyed nearly a full hour of practice sitting next to Will Piatt.

Mark squadded himself with me, and we had a great discourse about airgunning, retirement, and our mutual happiness with this part of the country.

The targets were set into ten lanes, each of them had tight slot openings through the trees, many of them high, or under cover. There was very little difficulty with his improved Gamo targets, I recall only one cold line being called, and that target was adjusted so that we shot uninterrupted. The pacing went very well, not much delay as we all seemed to keep moving, with little distance between the shooting lines. Mark told us the setup was a high Troyer, as he knew there were shooters prepping for the Bayou match in two weeks.

I shot OK, considering my minimal practice and preparation. My scope wheel came completely loose, but may not have made much difference, given the famous ability of the Weaver Kaspa to range everything beyond 30 yards at the same position on the wheel. I would clear one lane, and hit 2/6 on the next all day. Hard to understand, but I know it was NOT the pellets. happy.gif

There were some impressive scores, these Carolina shooters are well equipped, and highly skilled. Will Piatt cleaned the course (wow!), and several others were close behind. Given the wind gusts and the setup difficulty, I am going to have to work a lot harder to come close to this.

Mark did an admirable job on the setup (and shot darn well), and we had some excellent fried chicken and home made sides - the Promised Land Grocery beats KFC easily.

I am certain that everyone enjoyed this. The only cross words I heard involved Paul Porch and the sear of his Steyr (my deepest sympathies). Hope to come back in the fall, and I'm saving for a new scope. Thanks for all your effort, Mark. Enjoyed meeting everyone. Great job!

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Good to hear from you, Jerry...

March 19 2017, 4:42 PM 

Nice to hear that you've found at least one of the Carolina clubs and are shooting again. Maybe you, Paul and Chris can each bring out your Crosman 1720Ts and teach them Carolina boys how to shoot the 35-yard game.
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

Respond to this message   
Chris Corey
(Login NCairgunner)
YF12

Bob, I'm working on the 1720 today

March 19 2017, 5:36 PM 

I just got it back from Puerto Rico. Manolo worked his magic on it for me. So I'm getting my scope re-zeroed & a new elevation tape made. Hope to test it out @ Chris B's next weekend & be ready for the Cajuns the following weekend.

Respond to this message   

Randy Smith
(Login AirGumby)
YC

Glad you're still in the hunt, Jerry. nt

March 20 2017, 9:49 AM 

really, nt

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.