<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Guy trying to setup a Crosman Maximus for FT

April 13 2017 at 11:09 AM

dan_house  (Login dan_house)
YC

http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=124860.0;topicseen

I hope he is successful at this. Would go along way to beating down the cost of gear, and eliminating the "price of admission" to play this great game.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

"Hope springs eternal." nt

April 14 2017, 2:12 PM 

Respond to this message   

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
YC

Not sure how to take that Ron

April 14 2017, 2:43 PM 

IIRC youve set up low buck gins for FT work,a nd did well.....

Is it his choice of gun, or you just succinct in yer cheerleading?

I hope the dude succeeds and does well. I think it'll be helpful to the sport long term.....

edit: stoopoid #$%^@(*** autocoreect...

This message has been edited by dan_house on Apr 14, 2017 6:50 PM

Respond to this message   

HookEm
(Login HookEm)
YF

Going the "project" route is a double-edge sword...

April 15 2017, 9:29 PM 

I have to admit that it's really cool to hear "success" stories using low-price rigs (and to your point Dan, Ron has done that with vintage Crosman's, et al).

However (which I think is what Ron is alluding to), using the wrong tool for the job can lead to frustration and discouragement, which is why I do not recommend "project" guns for Field Target (E.g., a Marauder is as low I'd go on the PCP side).

HookEm

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

No sure how to explain myself Dan

April 15 2017, 9:50 PM 

But think I just see more inherent obstacles in the Maximus platform (for FT work) than the QB platform(s) I used. Specifically, a pencil-thin barrel that requires a barrel-band, both of which I consider MAJOR handicaps to the kind of consistent and repeatable accuracy required for field target competition.

I suppose the five-pound heft could be overcome with ballast in the plastic stock. I don't know if the trigger is akin to a Disco trigger, but if so, that's another issue to overcome.

I always saw the Crosman 160/QB platform as something of an airgun equivalent to the Winchester model 52. Guess I consider the Maximus closer to a Daisy.

I'm all about taking improbable equipment beyond any and all reasonable expectations on the fields of competition, but guess I see the Maximus for FT work as a bridge too far. That said, gotta respect anyone willing to try. I just worry that such an ambitious undertaking might prove discouraging to anyone less hard-headed (weak-minded) than myself!

Respond to this message   
CraigE
(Login eboniste)
YF12

Project potential

April 16 2017, 1:14 PM 

An extremely viable low end project is the Challenger. To ramp up the velocity beyond 10m setting really only requires enlarging the transfer port and adjusting hammer spring. With the mrod trigger and the adjustable factory stock backing up the LW barre FT demands nothing this rig can't offer. Unregulated and a 2000 psi fill will yield 50+ shots. On sale or from the classifieds one can snag a Challenger for well below some of the more conventional choices.

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

I've heard a lot of good things about the Challenger

April 16 2017, 1:59 PM 

And it sounds like a rifle equivalent to the 1720T pistol; that being a SOLID platform from which to extract world-beating potentials.

I'm often asked by pistol FT-curious newbies what pistol to get, and my reply is always, "Unless you're willing to spend over a thousand bucks, the 1720T is the ONLY choice; and it is no handicap to any air pistol at ANY price!" I've probably sold close to a dozen 1720T's for Crosman... so far!

Matter of fact I finally picked up a used 1720T for myself, drilled out the transfer port, and set it up to shoot RIFLE field target (as a pistol). Only got to use it in one rifle match before my fall from "grace", but got third place (of 6-8 Hunter rifles, as I recall). It had a two-pound trigger-break at the time, but it became (immediately) obvious that a lighter trigger was necessary to expect better results. So in spite of advice that I couldn't expect to achieve any lighter trigger from a 1720T, I monkeyed it down to a near-telepathic six-ounce break. She's now a fully Hunter Rifle capable pistol.

BTW, after drilling-out the T.P. she's getting 840 FPS/13.2 FP with 8.4 JSBs, and averages sub-3/4" groups at 50 yards. She gets 16 competition-worthy shots from a 2900 PSI charge.

Respond to this message   
John
(Login JohnG10)
YF

How do you enlarge the transfer port?

April 16 2017, 11:03 PM 

Do you have to drill something out, or just replace the little tube between the barrel and air reservoir? Are any special tools required ?

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Just drill out the transfer port.

April 17 2017, 12:51 PM 

Remove the allen-head bolts holding the receiver to the tube, lift off the receiver and the transfer port is sandwiched between two rubber seals

I had ZERO experience with a 1720T and it took me all of 20 minutes to do the work. start to finish.

Respond to this message   
CraigE
(Login eboniste)
YF12

Tutorial with pics

April 17 2017, 2:23 PM 

A search on the FT forum (&/or Crosman) as well asGTA Forum will yield plenty of helpful assistance; especially to deal with the bolt on the Challenger. With careful attention, the process is neither too complex or too long

Respond to this message   

dan_house
(Login dan_house)
YC

Thanx guys

April 17 2017, 11:39 AM 

Leo and Ron both brought up issues that I--as a perpetual noob-- hadnt thought of

Challenger.. hmmmmm

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

A little-known fact

April 17 2017, 12:54 PM 

Leo and I were Siamese twins separated at birth. He's the evil twin. wink.gif

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Insight on the Challanger and 1720T super easy mods I have

April 18 2017, 12:42 PM 

Done both of my guns and it it super easy! Both transfer ports are drilled to .080" and that puts the Challanger rt to 12 FPE. However the bell curve will take it up to 14lbs without a regulator. I installed the Huma reg for the it and it is perfect, I have used it locally to win the WFTF Ft at our club..To bad there were only two of us shooting...lol

The only thing bad about the challenger is the stock. I made my own field target stock from a blank of curly maple and it was not too hard to do..

The Challanger is as accurate as my competition Steyr LG 110 rig. I even out shot the Steyer at my home course once..It is that accurate!

[linked image]

[linked image]
The 1720T pistol was given the same treatment of boring the port to .080" and then a Lane regulator. With some hammer adjustments I get 29 on point of aim shots before the Point of impact drops 1/4" for two shots then it drops offs qqqqquick after that. I adjusted the regulator to 140 bar to acheive this. The gun shoots the AA 8.44s at 780 FPS for 11.40 FPE.. If I use the 10.34 AAs, it gets729 FPS fpor 12.20 FPE

I removed the lawyer spring and readjusted the trigger. It is now breaking at 8.8oz. This will make the safety not work, so be careful.
[linked image]

This message has been edited by paulporch on Apr 18, 2017 12:44 PM

Respond to this message   
Ron Robinson
(Login compressive)
YC

Great information Pablo,

April 18 2017, 2:27 PM 

Good show, Bud!

Respond to this message   
Tom Holland
(Login xbowsniper)
YF12

Re: Guy trying to setup a Crosman Maximus for FT

April 18 2017, 4:21 PM 

I have used the Marauder platform to great success this last FT season in WFTF PCP. I have also set up a backup gun using a Challenger with a Huma regulator in it, everything else stock, except for the larger transfer port, and prouder screws to hold the valve in place. Shoots just as well as my TM 1000 and my Steyr LG 110 FT, although much more finicky as far as pellets go. If you need any more details on what I did to mod them, (which was not a whole lot), feel free to ask.

Tom Holland
Assistant Match Director
Eastern Suffolk Competitve Airgunners Association
(ESCAA)
Long Island NY

Respond to this message   

Paul Porch
(Login paulporch)
YF12

Thanks Ron, at the Crosman AA last year, I spoke to the general manager

April 18 2017, 4:28 PM 

of Crosman, and he said the Maximus is basically a Disco with less expensive parts internally. It was to bring a PCP in at a low price.

Some guys, including myself, have modded them with regulators, Challanger barrels, and such to make the Disco an entry level PCP at Field Target clubs. We have a tinkerer at our club who did this, then went to a Challanger. He pumped the Challanger to shoot at around 18FPE.....!

So IMHO, it would take a good bit of tinkering with the Maximus to get it to be a competitive rifle in FT. The Challanger is the better way, as it requires Less to get it FT worthy. It already has a match LW choked barrel and is super accurate coming from 10 meter...

Like Craig said, you can pick up a used one sometimes on the classified... I know I won't be parting with mine, I like it that much.....

Respond to this message   
Wayne Burns
(Login WayneBurns)
YF12

Dan, Crosman also makes a "Euro" model that's is 12fpe and we have tuned a few

April 18 2017, 10:41 PM 

for loaners and folks ended up buying them as fast as we can get em ready it seems. They need cleaning up and tuning... The trigger is terrible out of the box, but Randy works it into a real nice, light, clean breaker... the barrel is better than the Maxi too I think... anyway they shoot good enough... They dropped lots of targets... really, it's very good for the price. Especially for shooters who prefer a smaller lighter rig. Folks seem to really like them when we loan them anyway.

We also have Marauders for loaners, and yes they are big step up for a little over twice the price... but they are too large for some shooters... and some shooters want to really get in on the cheap. I also like the 2,000 fill pressure. A used 3,000 scuba tank for $80. and you can fill it forever:-)

Wayne

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.