<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Anybody using Hector's SpecialFT Sightron for Hunter class?

April 13 2017 at 2:46 PM
Mike  (Login accurate5)
YF12

I would be curious to know how you feel it it ranges between 30-55 yds. at 12X

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
GS
(Login ORTitan)
YC

One of the first batch.

April 13 2017, 7:00 PM 

For me I think it ranges pretty well at 12x. My yardage numbers are not all that far off from what it does at 30x. The clarity of the glass has helped much in that at 12x I can make out the kill zones better than with the Hawke scopes I have used at 12x. My nit with using this scope at 12x is that all of my hold overs are within 2 marks of the ret. In other words the ret is very coarse at 12x. To better utilize the scope I moved to open division and shoot at 30x which makes for more aiming points. I like the scope but I personally would have been better off spending that money on pellets and practicing....

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login accurate5)
YF12

thanks for input

April 14 2017, 11:49 AM 

that is good info on the retical issue!!

Respond to this message   

Scott S
(Login Namba963)
YF12

Just some FYI

April 14 2017, 12:06 AM 

I own a 10-50x60 MOAFT which is the same chassis Sightron uses for Hectors reticle.
at 12X personally feel its ranging at 40+ yards is inferior to a Optisan Viper at 12x ( My primary HFT scope )
Granted it is far better glass, but at this lower mag value the DOF seems pretty deep and getting snappy in/out resolution is IMO too soft. Go to 24x-30x+ and there AWESOME !!!

Just one man opinion

Respond to this message   
Mike
(Login accurate5)
YF12

thanks for input

April 14 2017, 11:48 AM 

Thanks Scott and gang. I have heard the Optisan Viper was good. I guess it is no longer made. There is an new Optisan EVX series, but can;t find out much about them.

Respond to this message   

Billy Dick
(Login ocedummy)
YF12

Got two of them from the first batch and......

April 14 2017, 9:20 AM 

At 30X they are unbelievably accurate, just ask any of the WFTF or Open guys. At 12X the Sightron is equal to the Viper or the Hawke line of scopes, I have them and still use them on some guns. The problem is that when ranging, it goes from clear to really clear. At above 40 yards, i start at a lower reading and when it gets really clear, I stop there. If i dither back and forth around the real range, i get fooled, the eye wants to focus wherever it happens to be. The real benefit for me is that often when i miss the first shot, the scope is so clear i can see where the pellet hit and adjust the second shot. Now the bad, it is more temperature sensitive than other scopes. At the Cajun match, it was ranging good in the morning, then we had lunch and then shot the second match in the afternoon. At that match, after a few lanes, the ranging was off for the long ones. I got to an obvious 55 yard target and ranged it, way off. I then adjusted the eyepiece slightly to make it range indicate at 55 and then it was fine for the rest of the match. In hindsight, i should have gone to the sightin range before the start of the afternoon match and checked the ranging numbers, oops. Usually this doesn't matter since the matches only last 2-3 hours and the temp only rises so much in that time period. But if you set it in the bright sun for any length of time, bad.....All the matches i shoot are in the woods, therefore shady, a non-problem.

Respond to this message   
John in Ma
(Login jroh1)
YF12

Did you just admit to adjusting your scope during a match

April 14 2017, 7:17 PM 

shooting Hunter class? BD must not have been in your squad.

This message has been edited by jroh1 on Apr 14, 2017 7:21 PM

Respond to this message   

Billy Dick
(Login ocedummy)
YF12

i Dont adjust the turrets, just the eye piece focus

April 14 2017, 9:15 PM 

Adjusting the eye piece is like focusing the side wheel, only much finer and it focuses the reticle and the target. Does nothing for the POI or POA.

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

The only prohibition is on turret adjustments (clicking)... The rules do not...

April 14 2017, 10:37 PM 

The rules in Hunter do not prohibit adjusting the clarity of the eyebell, adjusting rangefinding focus (AO or sidewheel), or adjusting the magnification to any value equal to 12x or LESS (sometimes helpful in forced position lanes, among all classes)...
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Apr 14, 2017 10:39 PM

Respond to this message   
Sam
(Login ancient1one)
YF12

12x magnification

April 15 2017, 7:32 AM 

I have tried about 12 mid range to higher end scopes for the hunter class. Not one ranged past 45 yards consistently. Last season I compared the Sightron sIII and the Optisan Viper the first couple of matches. Range finding was similar out to 35 - 40 yards and I felt the Sightron was slightly better out to 45 yards.

When I first started FTH I owned 3 Hawke Sidewinders 6.5-20 x 42 with the same 10x mildot reticle, one of the 3 Hawke scopes range finding capabilities was noticeably better than the other two and was pretty accurate out to 45 yards on 12x. The other two struggled past 38 - 40 yards. This made me realize all scopes are not equal even when they look exactly alike and are made by the same company.

If your looking to buy the Sightron sIII or any scope for FTH 12x I recommend getting one with a 20x 1/2 mildot reticle or the Hector MOA-H reticle. I made the mistake of listening to guys on the forum complaining the MOA-H reticle was too busy. If you do not click and use the reticle for holdover you want busy. The nicest reticle I have tried is the Hawke TMX then the Sightron MOA-H, just the reticle design not glass clarity. I looked through a buddies Hawke with the AMX IR reticle and thought it would be good for HFT.

After all the above if someone asked what scope should I get for HFT PCP I would say do not spend more than $350 - $400 because there is no scope that can range find past 40 - 45 yards accurately on 12x.

Respond to this message   
Paul in Zhills
(Login jps2486)
YF

Good points

April 20 2017, 9:33 AM 

Between BD and me, we've tried lots of scopes and from these remarks you can determine that none of them are perfect, just some are better than others. For me, I like the Hawke Sidewinder 6-24X56 with the 20X 1/2 mildot reticle. It is bright and the reticle is useful for HFT holdover. I ranges about as well as any.

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.