<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

MTC Viper Connect

April 14 2017 at 6:45 PM
Cliff Smith  (Login cliffsmith79)
YF

Is anyone familiar with the MTC Viper Connect scope? It is a very close eye relief 3-12x32 side focus scope. Wondering how it focuses beyond 40 yards to use for FT Hunter division. Thanks for any info.
Cliff

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Billy Dick
(Login ocedummy)
YF12

Bigger Objective lens the better.

April 14 2017, 9:11 PM 

Get the biggest you can. For example, in Europe HFT, you cannot adjust your scope to range find. So you just focust it in the middle and adapt. Close ones and far ones are fuzzy. They use small diameter objective lens's because they have the largest depth of field. Conversely , the largest ones have the shallowest depth, that is what you need for range finding so they snap in and out. If you want a front focus scope, then get a 4-16 Weaver V-16 mil dot like Ron Robinson uses. If you want a side focus scope , get an Optisan/MTC Viper 4-16X50 like Bob Dye, Chuck Garvey and lots of other guys use or a Millette 4-16X50 TRS-1 or a Hawke 4-16X50. If you want the lighter one, do not get an illuminated scope. Sightron 5-20 S-TAC does not range well. Too bad you left Florida as I have some extras you could try. Ask Larry Cleveland for his opinion also.

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

IMO, Billy Dick is right...

April 14 2017, 10:58 PM 

The larger Objective lenses yield the shallower depth of field needed for range finding... when limited to 12X in Hunter Division.

As a sports reporter decades ago, I regularly used a large telephoto lens (120mm objective) to photograph the pitcher on the mound through the chain link fence behind the catcher at home plate. The depth of field was so narrow on such a lens, that when focused on the pitcher, you could see right through the chain link fence without any distortion. In field target, you can sometimes see this phenomenon looking through leaves and branches that otherwise obscure a KZ (when focused on the KZ). One has to be careful, of course. Because while you don't see the leaves or twigs, you don't want to shoot through them.

I also feel the larger objective lenses (and larger diameter tubes) admit more light, useful in those darker lanes. Some will dispute this, so I guess it depends on the scope. In my experience, a 50mm objective (generally) gathers more light than a 32mm objective.

The new Optisan "EVX" line, 6-24×56mm looks interesting because of its still larger, 56mm Objective. Hopefully it has a 12X marking(?) Too bad they've moved away from the SCB2 "Christmas Tree" reticle, however. The MH10 Reticle does not seem as versatile, IMO. But I have not seen this reticle in person, yet.
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

This message has been edited by MB-BOB on Apr 14, 2017 11:04 PM

Respond to this message   
TV
(Login TerryVanpool)
YC

Optisan EVX

April 15 2017, 11:45 AM 

Bob I was recently looking at the EVX and Athlon FFP scopes and from what I can tell neither has a 12 power marking.

[linked image]
Charter member of Over The Hill Gang

Respond to this message   

Bob D.
(Login MB-BOB)
YF

Ah, good to learn. Thanks, Terry...

April 15 2017, 12:02 PM 

I do wish Optisan hadn't discontinued the Viper 4-16x 50mm SCB2. I had thought about buying a second one for backup.
[linked image]
www.DallasFTclub.org

Respond to this message   
Kevin E.
(Login TXWobble)
YF12

Re: Optisan EVX

April 18 2017, 3:55 PM 

According to Jeff at Trenier Outdoors, the manuf is coming out with a new version that WILL contain the 12x setting. Jeff says he will let me know when they arrive.
[linked image]

Respond to this message   

Scott S
(Login Namba963)
YF12

I have 2 EVX's ... and

April 15 2017, 6:52 PM 

NEITHER has 12x marking
Both are Mil-Rad 10X calibrated.

Have both the 4-16x44F-1 FFP & 4-16x44i SFP versions.

Killer clear class and they range super well too !!
Sadly in AAFTA uses there 10x required due to no 12x markings.

Respond to this message   
Cliff Smith
(Login cliffsmith79)
YF

Thanks

April 16 2017, 1:27 PM 

Thanks for all the advice and information. Hunter division may be in my future.
Cliff

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
On line trajectory calc by Brad Troyer MILDOTS

D I S C L A I M E R

JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information. Use of our forums by people under 18 years old is allowed only with legal guardian(s) present.

FORUM RULES BELOW

When you signed up you agreed to All N54 Rules. 1-No Flaming or name calling. No personal attacks, racial slurs, foul language, insults or trolling. This is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 2-Instigating with the purpose of drawing people into highly argumentative situations and wasting of bandwidth is cause for post deletion and/or banning. 3-Do NOT comment on Forum Moderation. It is what it is, live with it or leave. This is an immediate 30 day ban. 4-If you feel wronged email eagleaetos@yahoo.com 5- Keep this FT forum civil and behave in a socially acceptable manner. 6- The primary purpose of this FT forum is the discussion of field target; however, the buying and selling of field target gear and rifles is permitted between forum users pursuant to the same rules as the Yellow Classifieds and the user assumes all responsibility for the transaction. Non-sponsoring dealer sales are not allowed. To keep the forum clean of ads and pursuant to the intent of the FT forum, WTB and FS ads are subject to deletion by the forum moderator once they fall off of the first page.